Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just plain mean

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

Noodle, I am actually a Libertarian. What we are seeing is a difference between my USA mindset and yours. Two different world views hey!

@Taye about assault with dreads, I'm assuming these are whites getting their dreads cut, correct? Well if Rastas are doing it then it is obvious that they are taking offense to Whites doing what they are doing religiously. As much as we want to say Rastafariansim as an all loving movement, it is founded on afro-centric, Black salvation and restoration and black nationalism. To be honest it was a quite racist religion in its inception. Since everyone likes Bob, how many times did he sing about racial harmony? It was mostly about Black unity, Get up stand up was against white religion and teaching, crazy bladheads was against white. The faith has globally evolved but in the Caribbean not so much in places. When living in Guyana my professor was ridiculed out in town every day, in the same country he grew up in! But seriously in America that is just a open threat, we make them all the time. How many times have you heard, if I see someone sagging I'm going to pull their pants up? It is very common to vent with a threat and not act on it.

But Noodle, racism is actually on the rise in the USA, can't pinpoint why but it is. Racial attacks are on the rise too. We are not enroute to e better tomorrow globally. If you are a conspiracy person, this is on purpose, but the ideal of everyone sitting down loving each other won't happen, it doesn't happen in most communes, or monasteries. This is a limited answer, but as I say in every post, culture, it plays a big thing, as well as world view. I think a good way to start a post one should give age and location.

I come from a 33 year old bi-racial world view in America and lived abroad and am military related. I am a minister, civil rights activist, soccer coach, pysc minor, life coach certified, post traumatic stress therapist, and father, a racial reconciliation speaker, and well those are the world view shaping things.

I hate liberals and conservatives who abandon comparative logic in their pursuit to fight for what they believe in. If we want an open minded world who will accept messy hair, then we must in turn accept a response from the world we are rebelling against. I've been in some places where I've been called a nigger, and the person wasn't being racist he actually thought you called black people that. Are white more sensitive when racism happens to them in the USA? Yes, because they are not used to it. Do blacks cry racism? Yes, because they are sick of it. And from their point of view they are right, and from another they are wrong. Comparative logic would point out the authors reference to college kids, and that he sees certain things as belonging to a race, and he sees something just simply not looking good. Those are his main points, everyone went off an how they felt when they read it. But his world view says that whites don't look good with messy hair and they are trying to be something they are not. Was it ignorant, yes, is it his opinion ? yes. If we are open minded and loving should we be upset? No, we should feel sorry and then seek a way to over come a stigma so that others can see what dreads mean to an individual.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I am not sure what race the people having their hair cut were.....I don't think like that...so I never question it. My issue was that it happened to people. What color their skin....never even crossed my mind.

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

That is fine, but sadly a huge factor. There are some who act violently, yes assaulting someone is wrong, cutting their hair too! I should have said I agree with you there. But, there is always a why. Finding that gives better understanding to the crime I think. Not make it right but sheer understanding.

taye said:

I am not sure what race the people having their hair cut were.....I don't think like that...so I never question it. My issue was that it happened to people. What color their skin....never even crossed my mind.

Sunflower
@sunflower
11 years ago
95 posts

When my mom was at her peak of hating against my dreadlocks, she sent me a link to this. Instead of getting insulted I just told her blankly to fuck off, and it worked magic :) on tumblr there is also ALOT of hate towards white people with dreadlocks, but its all low lifes who have nothing better to do. I had enough of one guy who was mailing me hate, so I made it public, we had a nice argument for the rest of tumblr to see, and he lost so badly that he deleted all the posts against white people. So just ignore it, there will always be idiots out there

Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts
Yup pure racism! Just sounds if this poor person had a bad expirience with dreads or a disgruntled hair stylist who really knows nothing about dreads seeing how dreads have been around for thousands of yrs and long before toxic products that most ppl are unaware of!
Dready Dharma
@dready-dharma
11 years ago
2 posts
This is so sad :( I dated a guy with dreads long ago,he was black/ white mix. my hair always dreaded up by the end of the day and when I decided to let it go he got very upset with me telling me I could not do that. I was shocked, we had friends of all different hair types and ethnic back grounds with dreads. It revealed how two faced he was. If this very rude guy ( to say the least) in your post is at least having a open dialogue about his feelings he will at least maybe get dreaducated. When I met my husband 14 years ago I had dreads. I shaved my head as our relationship got closer for some reason ( I had monk friends with shaved heads, Buddhists philosophy was really coming up in my path I guess I was experimenting) those negative ideals about whites with dreads lurked in my shadows I think .i kept my hair brushed, donated it every couple of years but always had this sadness of not having dreads. About 2 1/2 years ago I decided to let my hair dread once again, it felt great. I thought it was my for ever set. However I emitted this hard core energy of dont talk about my hair to every one and no one did. ( except a few people) but I really put up a wall with out saying a thing to my family because I guess it would have really hurt if they thought my dreads were anything less than a great idea.sorry to ramble, on to my point. I recently and sadly cut off this set :( I know now its mostly because of not being open to dialogue about them. Now my hair just looks like a cute messy pixie cut but definitely as it starts to mat together I'm going to discuss it especially with those I love and work with. Lockin my hair up is extremely personal if others don't like it for some reason I want to talk about it especially if they are important people in my life. I may be pleasantly surprised by some nice comments ;) too. This website and forum is really genius, it's really helping me feel comfortable with my decision to have locks. XOXO to all you fellow dreadies.
updated by @dready-dharma: 07/22/15 11:37:45AM
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

@Brad, Just because you don't care about those ideaologies doesn't make them go away. It is about caring to understand those systems to reach a mutual end. Madiba was a perfect example of this in South Africa, just look at the Springboks!

@Sunflower, this mans rudeness pales in comparison to how you treated your mother, to me. If this whole message of dreads is love and all that spiritual crap, then respect the person who provided and birthed you.

@Doogie, again this isn't about dreaducation, why everyone on her thinks every wants or needs dreaducation about a look. Could this gentleman say things differently? Most assuredly, however the crux of his missive, if you just read it critically, he thinks they don't look good on whites, and there i a certain type of white person with dreads, those are his "non-racist" remarks.

@Dready Dharma, I wish I knew the details of your first experience, but I don't, simply sorry you had to, went through and setting up to go through it again.

Overall guys we need to look at this with a balanced view. If you think young black men with gold teeth, baggy pants and such look ridiculous, and that blacks should just pull their pants up, and stop talking all gangster, guess what you are repeating this guys same sentiment but in a calmer way. If you ever have said you wish they would pull their pants up, or made an idle threat to do so, same thing. American whites, blanket statement, do not realize how many subtle racist things they say and do, this is a generalization. But when a hint comes back they blow up. Racism is as ingrained in our society as McDonalds. Does this mean every white person is racist, NO, are all blacks and hispanics racist? Yes! from a certain point of view.

When we classify that we have no work in America due to illegals, which illegals are we talking about, when we say things like I wish they would stop having so many babies, or whites will be bred out of majority. There is an implication of a stigma/stereotype against one race. So before you start screaming racism please, take a moment, evaluate your speech, the speech of others, the speech of media, the laws of the land, and you will see that this guy follows suit, the only difference is he is talking about whites.

It is not illegal for whites to look dirty, have dreads, piercings, do they get picked on and harassed? You bet but what would you expect? But it is illegal in many parts of the country for blacks to sag, wear their hats a certain way and the like. Harassment is one thing laws are another, in the broad scope of comparison this is a opinion, albeit, uninformed. HOWEVER there are many uniformed opinions about how blacks start their dreads and maintain their hair in this forum.

So then how can we be like Madiba ( Nelson Mandela) and find a middle ground. In the realm of racial reconciliation it states that we cannot ever fully let go of our stereotypes, but when we come to the table we must set aside the idea that we are all standing socially equal but remember that we are created equals, yet still have many differences. If you all want people to be accepting of you and this journey then don't be disrespectful back, don't fight, don't be rude. Becasue instead of fighting for these self entitled rights, you are actually creating another thread of friction.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Why do we have a need for our "look" to be accepted?

It is our choice to have dreadlocks, tattoos and piercings etc. I personally feel a spiritual connection to my dreadlocks and I certainly do not feel it is a simple choice, I feel it is more of a destiny, but at the end of the day it is a choice. I live in a semi rural town in Australia. I can see conservative people looking at me in a strange way, I do not expect anyone to accept the way I look, especially when they come from a conservative background, and have very little experience with people who look differently to themselves. I feel that would be unfair of me to expect that.

I do not feel insulted in any way at all that my outer garments or hair be judged. I am not saying that I accept violence, I believe peace is the only way in every aspect of life.

A fire has never been extinguished with a flame.

Violence cannot be stopped with violence, or even subtle violence. Shouting, swearing, getting angry or even thinking angrily are all acts of violence.

Until we all meet violence head on with a peaceful mind, the world will not move forward in the great way it needs to.

peace and many blessings to all

tim

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

OK so let's do this, here is an apple.. you hear I hate apples eat an orange!

I never said anyone deserves to be harassed, but rather if one is then they shouldn't be offended. When you purposely choose to go against society there are some consequences. Being in Australia is different than the USA, so take things with a grain of salt.

No by reaching a mutual end means you can accept what they say as their point of view, in truer words, tolerance. One doesn't need to betray anything to tolerate another. Why would I judge you? That is an assumption. You are totally entitled to your opinion and world view. However don't read into things, that is one reason this thread is so long. If you read again when I was mentioning mutual end, it was in regard to helping people understand your point of view.

Brad Spitt said:

@ lizard 'It is not illegal for whites to look dirty, have dreads, piercings, do they get picked on and harassed? :::You bet but what would you expect? :::'
What is that ment to mean? You saying because i have dreads,tats,piercings and dont follow conventional way of living i must bedirty and i deserve to be harrassed?

Just because others in a part of the world cant wear baggy pants ect in their country/city i must accept everything else because others are not being treated good either? I ask please dont be so presumptuous as to thinking because i dont care any longer about racial bigots,that i have not studied certain racial groups and religions ,and not just in books either. My studying,questioning,reasoning over months in persondidnt make them any better either but what i get from what you said to me is ' I must reach a mutual end' with them? is that to agree to what they say and betray my own beliefs and accept that hate and racism(dont matter what race you are) is acceptable? Thats bollocks man!! You can judge me,thats fine,i dont agree with you but nobody is ever right in this zionist baylonian world. Love and Peace.

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

Well said Tim

Tim said:

Why do we have a need for our "look" to be accepted?

It is our choice to have dreadlocks, tattoos and piercings etc. I personally feel a spiritual connection to my dreadlocks and I certainly do not feel it is a simple choice, I feel it is more of a destiny, but at the end of the day it is a choice. I live in a semi rural town in Australia. I can see conservative people looking at me in a strange way, I do not expect anyone to accept the way I look, especially when they come from a conservative background, and have very little experience with people who look differently to themselves. I feel that would be unfair of me to expect that.

I do not feel insulted in any way at all that my outer garments or hair be judged. I am not saying that I accept violence, I believe peace is the only way in every aspect of life.

A fire has never been extinguished with a flame.

Violence cannot be stopped with violence, or even subtle violence. Shouting, swearing, getting angry or even thinking angrily are all acts of violence.

Until we all meet violence head on with a peaceful mind, the world will not move forward in the great way it needs to.

peace and many blessings to all

tim

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form