Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
11 years ago
100 posts

ya ...totally normal ....just explain it to them ...in a nice way ...good luck and happy dreading

Joey5
@joey5
11 years ago
83 posts
No one could understand my journey at first. Everyone was like "your dreads are falling out" or "you should get them fixed". I tried to explain but mostly just ignored the comments. It is now that maturing that they can understand. Most are in awe of how my hair did this all alone! Just takes patience
Erica Marie
@erica-marie
11 years ago
3 posts
My father just broke down the other night and told me I look like a homeless person. Fr the most part my parents and my in laws are TRYING to be supportive (by supportive I mean trying to ignore my hair and cracking minimal jokes.) my worst critics are usually people who wouldn't get it anyway- some friends mothers etc...) I just told them it's a commitment, a public one. And the journey is messy, but like most important things in life- it's worth it in the end. I've got a few years on you so my situation is slightly different but I try to say something or make a comparison that draws the attention away. Ex: 1- i just had two babies, those first ultrasounds were more alienesque than cute and cuddly, but 9 months in the oven and they came out pretty awesome!! 2- I've donated my hair three times so far, if I wind up hating em- I know for damn sure I can rock a short haircut ;) Stay true to you. Realize you probably look a little funny it's natural for people to say stupid things- ask anyone who has any type of visible or audible disability. Enjoy your journey, maybe journal your experiences and keep on truckin!
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

If you had to redo them, and they stuck that time, I'm going to guess that you may have done them too tight. They are supposed to fall out and redread by themselves. They should not be TOO tight, and when you redo them you set yourself back to square one. Just let them be.

As for opinions from schoolmates, this is something that you will have to learn to live with. I got it every single day while I was in school. It makes you stronger though. You learn not to care what they think.

One tip I will give, listen in class. School is for learning, not surfing the web. Don't waste your time and actually listen to the teacher while your there. Before you know it, school will be over and you might just regret not paying attention. I know I did.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

tfor me schoolwas a good time for a nap and when awake yea getting harrassed

kids in school are ignorant the smart ones the dumnb ones all of them for the most part

they tease eachother to death (sometimes literaly)

just dont let it affect you

dreads are your sheild..they protect u from the harmfulll affects of negativity

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wash your hair and its ok if they fall out too tight and they take lot longer to dread they need to loosen look at crochet dreads thay are started way too tight so theres no dreading at all 1st 6 months

Rebecca halpryn said:

I should probably pay attention more, but...
What are the effects of them being too tight? Because the first time, the vast majority of them completely fell out.
Also, I have yet to wash my hair, and I think that will contribute to the whole tightness factor.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Unfortunately, dreads are not a shield for negativity. They are a magnet for it. Don't get me wrong, you will get positive comments too, but they will in no way shield you from negativity. The problem is that most kids are idiots. It is that simple. We all wentthroughthat same phase, but it is a fact of life. They identify differences and will pick on you because of those differences. But like I said, the effect this will have is tograduallymake you care less about what others think. It is a positive effect and will ensure that you don't feel the need to follow the herd, as many people do. This is not to say that following the herd is negative all the time, but it will hopefully leave you free to decide when it is a good or bad idea.

It is possible that your dreads fell out in the first place because they were not situated in a natural position on your scalp. They should be let do what they want, but you know this now, so all good.

Do you know about the one square inch rule? That is the biggest that any of your dreads should be at the scalp. Also, there should be many different sized sections.

updated by @kelly3: 07/22/15 11:37:56AM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

That is great news. You're on you way to healthy dreads. Now post some pics and record you progress. It's fun to look back and see where you've come from. :)

Take care, and don't let the others get you down!

Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
11 years ago
50 posts

Ah, high school. a bunch of insecure people always judging at the blink of an eye out of envy. I really do applaud you in my wildest dreams I would've never attempted this journey in high school just because it's a bunch of bullshit from people all the time that i just don't want to hear 24/7. You are valiant! Anyways, from looking at the picture they look fine! It's the beginning stages. Please stick with it you're only with those idiots for two more years anyways after that no one keeps in touch from high school trust me! And I was on my iphone THROUGHOUT high school and got A's and B's so right on ;)
Jah Bless

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
11 years ago
46 posts

I had dreads same age, same grade, same situation (except i didn't tnr). It is now 7 years later and i have a different set of dreads. You will find that the people that appreciate your hair become good well rounded people, the ones who are telling you what you "should" look like however will lose themselves to their ego and will fall into a life without meaning. At the end of the year, I won "craziest hair" which was an award apparently.I consider dreads as a good filter for people, it weeds out the self righteous and ignorant. Also, from what i know tnr is supposed to become undone and then knot back up, by redoing it all you did was start back at the beginning, it will need to be a mess before it dreads.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form