Dreadlocks Forums

How do I tell my parents?

eva
@eva
12 years ago
38 posts

Hahahahaha !So does my dad. !

Baba Fats said:

people can surprise you sometimes. I wish I were as lucky as you. My mom still hates mine. It's been years. My dad still thinks the only reason I have them is to "look black"

updated by @eva: 07/23/15 07:42:51AM
eva
@eva
12 years ago
38 posts

Hello hannah :) I came here to originally offer some advice but it seems likeeverything worked out :)Im glad !! My mom and one of my brothers reactions were just that they are dirty and well every other dread stereotype ! But once youexplain tothem what dreads really are and how they are exactly the opposite of most stereotypes, mine didn't really mind. My dad also thinks im just trying to look "black" ahaha . What I love to hear is that you are doing them and you dont care what people. I wish I would have done that earlier !! I wanted dreads since I was in like gr8 but never got them. Finally, after I graduated from high school I dreaded my hair. Good luck on your dread journey my dear :):)

Peace and love.

Ahil Ganesan
@ahil-ganesan
12 years ago
53 posts
Honestly that is so good to hear that you could change your parents minds about dreads, dread success stories are honestly so good to read :) im lucky enough to have cool parents. my parents are Indian and back home there are respected naked Hindu priests who have dreads, practice yoga and smoke weed spiritually. They're called sadhus. My parents tease me about beig a sadhu but that's about it. Just thought I'd share that with you all. Good luck with your dread journeys peeps
Brayden Wilks
@brayden-wilks
12 years ago
1 posts
Wish I got mine done in my first year of high school :( my school wouldn't allow anything 'extreme' :l just go right ahead and do it, I just came home one day with dreads out of the blue, my parents couldn't really do much about it then, but they still give me a hard time every now and again, they absolutely love referring to my hair as the 'tarantula' :l
Hannah :)
@hannah
12 years ago
21 posts

thank you so much :)

Izzy said:

Hello hannah :) I came here to originally offer some advice but it seems likeeverything worked out :)Im glad !! My mom and one of my brothers reactions were just that they are dirty and well every other dread stereotype ! But once youexplain tothem what dreads really are and how they are exactly the opposite of most stereotypes, mine didn't really mind. My dad also thinks im just trying to look "black" ahaha . What I love to hear is that you are doing them and you dont care what people. I wish I would have done that earlier !! I wanted dreads since I was in like gr8 but never got them. Finally, after I graduated from high school I dreaded my hair. Good luck on your dread journey my dear :):)

Peace and love.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I already congratulated you in the chat that your mom is accepting your decision to grow dreads, but I wanted to do so again! It really is a hair style that has a lot of stereo types associated with it that aren't necessarily positive ones. High school is definitely one of the hardest times of your life. Especially the cliches that are essentially clones of each other and make themselves feel better by ridiculing everyone else who is not exactly like them.

I'll be honest, when you grow dreads the natural way...your hair won't look good till about 2 years in! There will be times when you absolutely HATE your hair...you'll be frustrated that it doesn't seem to be progressing fast enough! But...often that dislike is not actually coming from you...but what society tries to tell you that your dreads should look like! They have this belief that dreads should be "maintained" and "manicured." But...just remember to keep rocking the crazy tangly mess....cause eventually you'll be rewarded with beautiful HEALTHY dreads that aren't a carbon copy of each other or every other salon dready.

GOOD LUCK!

Hannah :)
@hannah
12 years ago
21 posts

thanks star! Im kind of nervous but I guess Ill just go with the flow and see what happens!

Star Gryphon said:

I already congratulated you in the chat that your mom is accepting your decision to grow dreads, but I wanted to do so again! It really is a hair style that has a lot of stereo types associated with it that aren't necessarily positive ones. High school is definitely one of the hardest times of your life. Especially the cliches that are essentially clones of each other and make themselves feel better by ridiculing everyone else who is not exactly like them.

I'll be honest, when you grow dreads the natural way...your hair won't look good till about 2 years in! There will be times when you absolutely HATE your hair...you'll be frustrated that it doesn't seem to be progressing fast enough! But...often that dislike is not actually coming from you...but what society tries to tell you that your dreads should look like! They have this belief that dreads should be "maintained" and "manicured." But...just remember to keep rocking the crazy tangly mess....cause eventually you'll be rewarded with beautiful HEALTHY dreads that aren't a carbon copy of each other or every other salon dready.

GOOD LUCK!

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
12 years ago
100 posts

write them a letter ....and give it to them before you go to school so they have time to digest the information and calm down

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form