Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How do I tell my parents?

Hannah :)
@hannah
12 years ago
21 posts

I stopped brushing on 10/11/12 (cool, huh?), so Im only a few days in. oh, and Im a freshman in high school!

My family is not very easy to relate to given my artistic, spiritual personality. they are more go-with-society people and are very concious about what others think of them/us. my mom doesn't care about me being popular but alwaystells me when she thinks I look "weird" or that other people will think Im a "freak". the thing is, I dont care about that stuff, or at least try to teach myself not to. they are great people but just dont really understand me a lot of the time.

How do I go about telling my parents I am starting to grow dreads? my mom would probably look at me and say "No." with a disgusted look on her face, and then give me a lecture about looking like a freak or whatever. She would never understand the spiritual things that come with growing dreads, which is one of the main reasons Im doing this, as a sort of therapy. I know if I say dreads, she will think of the sterotypical thought where you dont wash your hair at all and smoke pot and whatever.Im considering waiting until she says something about my hair, and then just say Im letting it be natural and let it do what it wants.

what should I say?

updated by @hannah: 02/14/15 08:29:51AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't wait.

I was arebelliousteen. So this might seem a little extreme to you, but I'd advise you to just do it. Are you waiting to tell your parents out of a desire to get their approval? If so, then you probably wont. And then it will be a constant fight when you grow them anyway. So since the fight will happen, you may want to avoid adding to the fire how you are disrespecting them.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/trying-to-convince-your-parents-to-let-you-get-dreads-here-s-the

The first words on this post are the link to the powerpoint slide. It seemed to have helped a few members "break the news" to their parents about their decision. It lays out how locks can be beautiful if they are well taken care of. And I believe that it even goes into the spirituality aspect as well.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

use the google search on here search thye site for convincing parents or letter to parents

i wri[]ote at least a dozen letters to parents which u can edit and show them

so far

every single 1 was convinced

if u need ill write another

but try to find those find 2 or 3 edir=t combining the good piints removing the typos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

They may never understand, but this is good for you to do it. I would wait until they notice, that's what I'm doing with my friends. It's weird, my parents understand me, but my friends don't :/ only friend person knows I'm dreading. I just don't ever plan to say anything until they ask.

When your parents do ask what's up with your hair stand your ground but don't argue. Just tell them you're dreading your hair, explain what that means if they don't understand what you're doing, and let them know there is nothing they can do that will make you brush your hair. But don't get defensive and argue with them, it will only make you upset and them as well.

@hannah
12 years ago
21 posts

Thank u so much, & im gonna end up doing that with my friends too!

Rose said:

They may never understand, but this is good for you to do it. I would wait until they notice, that's what I'm doing with my friends. It's weird, my parents understand me, but my friends don't :/ only friend person knows I'm dreading. I just don't ever plan to say anything until they ask.

When your parents do ask what's up with your hair stand your ground but don't argue. Just tell them you're dreading your hair, explain what that means if they don't understand what you're doing, and let them know there is nothing they can do that will make you brush your hair. But don't get defensive and argue with them, it will only make you upset and them as well.

@hannah
12 years ago
21 posts

oh gosh thank u so much! I just told her and she was completely calm about it (well, cause she thinks its just a phase). but then i showed her the slideshow just to convince her more, with some edits from me, and she was totally ok with it! thank you, I guess i sometimes should have more faith :)

Baba Fats said:

Don't wait.

I was arebelliousteen. So this might seem a little extreme to you, but I'd advise you to just do it. Are you waiting to tell your parents out of a desire to get their approval? If so, then you probably wont. And then it will be a constant fight when you grow them anyway. So since the fight will happen, you may want to avoid adding to the fire how you are disrespecting them.

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/trying-to-convince-your-...

The first words on this post are the link to the powerpoint slide. It seemed to have helped a few members "break the news" to their parents about their decision. It lays out how locks can be beautiful if they are well taken care of. And I believe that it even goes into the spirituality aspect as well.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

people can surprise you sometimes. I wish I were as lucky as you. My mom still hates mine. It's been years. My dad still thinks the only reason I have them is to "look black"

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

awsome thats great to hear

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form