Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Fighting the "good" fight!

Star
@star
12 years ago
19 posts

I shared a couple months past that I was having to fight my boss for my appearance. I'd like to share that I joined the union and now have the right to keep my dreads. It was the longest, sickest few months of my life. I have to keep them up, pulled back, and keep my scarf thin when worn...but I've made it to 6 months and have never been happier! Freedom of expression won this time!

updated by @star: 02/14/15 08:40:57AM
Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

Good for you!! I really don't care for discrimination of any kind.. :))

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you can fight to not cover or tie em up as well unless its a legit safety factor

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

yay for unions

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Awesome! If you don't mind me asking, what sort of place do you work?

Star
@star
12 years ago
19 posts

Thanks guys! I am a teacher and freedom of expression isn't something my district does. or many districts if you truly look into what teachers can say, do, post and be (in public) SE...trust me, I'm pushing the envelope as much as I can while keeping my job :)

Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

yaaay! dont let em bring ya down (: im sure your kids loove your dreads!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Star, I hear you. My girlfriend is a teach too. We know exactly what you are feeling. We wanted to go to one of the protests in Philly this past fall, but as a teacher she can't express her political views at all, even outside of the school. If she were to get arrested or even detained at a political rally, she could pretty much kiss her job and all those years in school goodbye.

Brandy :]
@brandy
12 years ago
106 posts

that is SOO rediculous! i cant believe teachers have so much restrictions.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Teachers are expected to be very conservative. Parents don't want to send their kids to school if their teacher looks like someone who would have done drugs. Iguaranteeyou that that super strict teacher you had in high school probably got drunk off their ass on the weekends.

There are some exceptions, but in reality, teachers are supposed to be completely impartial, and not impose their views on students. If, by your appearance, you are generating an opinion, or what others might think is your opinion, you'll have a really really hard time finding a teaching job.

Now, is this right? I don't think so. I would have loved it if my teachers had their own opinions. It would have made school more educational, and more interesting. Kids don't have to listen or agree with them, they just have to learn. Seeing someone with a strong stance shows them that they too should have their own opinions. What the system does, now, is just teach kids that they should not think for themselves.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form