Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks at school??

Andrea Harclerode
@andrea-harclerode
12 years ago
5 posts

I dont know if there is already a topic on this or not and my computer is too slow to go through and look for it so sorry if im repeating someone else... anyways, i have a few dreads on the underside of my hair that i could easily hide from school administrators, i really want to naturally let the rest of my hair dread but my school is very strict with students appearance. I know people who have been put in ISS and whatnot for dying their hair certain colors and a girl who had a short faux hawk was forced to "fix her hair". They have bothered me before about my nose ring and my tattoo and made me hide them, but i dont know what i could do about dreads. Just wondering if theres anything i could do, if not i guess i could just wait until i graduate or something.

updated by @andrea-harclerode: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Gabriel Beauchemin
@gabriel-beauchemin
12 years ago
50 posts

I was at a college stricted like that...I think the best way is to be able to get out of it...talk with your parents maybe.

If your really motivated to get them, you could actulally get your dreads, and if they tell you to remove it, you just say no and don,t remove them... they wont comb your own hair...and in they try run hahaha. If if you get banned maybe your next school is gonna be cooler. OK thay may seems a little bit extreme, but thats probaby wha i would have done. I can't live when there too many stupid rules. So if you are like me.

Andrea Harclerode
@andrea-harclerode
12 years ago
5 posts

true, i guess they cant chase me around with a hairbrush in school or anything and if i get suspended i wouldnt really care all that much. i dont understand how a public school has the right to even attempt to control my personal and life choices like that though. kinda bullshit.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i'll write on your behalf i already have a letter to school admins somewhere but 1st off is this school in usa?

oh yea your in pa

ok here edit for typos

to the school admins.

one of your students would like to grow dreadlocks, and i understand you have a conservative dress code that may state no distracting hairstyles, however this cannot contradict constitutional rights. freedom of religion as an example since dreadlocks are a part of every religion almost as well as many spiritual and personal beliefs.

jewish and christians share a common vow the nazarite vow which requires the nazarite to allow the hair to dread naturally. buddhist may dread as a way of letting go of attachment to vanity, rastafarians dread for a simular reason as nazarites.in fact people with no distinct religion but a spirituality feel dreadlocks make them feel more in touch with nature and themselves. dreading has a pr5ofopund and personal and spiritual affect on people. a healthy effect giving self confidence and sense of self. it cures self image issues like anorexia and low self esteem.

by law, you cannot deny the right to dread, this is a fact proven in court case after case. even jails cannot deny your right to dread. and your student can defend that right in court through civil siuit if needed, since precident after precident was set its an open and shut case.

but why take it that far when dreading makes your student happier, healthier, more at peace with themself?

its win win, a happy student is a better student.

more history.

we would never have gone to the moon without dreads getting educations, a dreadlocked phd deesigned and built the saturn rockets that got us to the moon. the same dreadlocked man now runs the largest biodeisel refinery in the country.

king tut was a dread, as was cleopatra and many egyptian nobles who founded civilzation.

in the early 1800s many native american warriors cheifs medicine men (shamans) worse dreadlocks. dreadlocks are not a black style or product of any 1 cueltur but the natural state of all hair and part of every culture. from vikings to crusaders muslim toi hindu and everything between

today many feel very disconected from nature, dreadlocks reconect you to your natural self.

in the bible joseph, jesuses earthly dad had dreads as well as john the baptist sampson and others..including jesus himself many beilieve

in most cultures dreadlocks are a sign of the most holy, the wisest, the most respected members of society.

dreadlocks are respected as leaders and teachers.

now there is a negative sterotype, drug use, dirty, etc these are mostly false,

some, not all rastas use marijuana as a religios sacrement, based on the bibles stating i give you all seed bearing plants to use..whichhmp is used in many religions globaly,however amongst dreadlocked individualshemp use is nohigher then any other population, and all other drugs including tobaco alcaohoil prescriptions are much lower, those who do usehemp will usualy never touch anything else even sugar is vtoo strong a drug.

and the dirty rumor is false too

dreads must be clean to dread, but they are less oily so look less shiny, the early messy stage also is mistaken for unclean

you cannot as well demand they be maintained covered or tied up since religios dreads are to form naturaly

however, your student may be willing to enter into a conversation about what he/she is willing to do to satisfy your requests and sooth your concerns, but please understand, you may makre requests not demands, and your requests may be honoured or ignored based on the students personal beliefs.

if youd like to be educated more you may cont6act me directly by giving your student a number or email to be contacted with and i will be happy to address your concerns directly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

also ask to see the written poluicy 1st it must be specific but no matter hw specific it cant go against constitutional rights

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wait let me edit that and add more

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

forced combing or cutting under the law counts as assault

Andrea Harclerode said:

true, i guess they cant chase me around with a hairbrush in school or anything and if i get suspended i wouldnt really care all that much. i dont understand how a public school has the right to even attempt to control my personal and life choices like that though. kinda bullshit.

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If it's a public school, they can't do anything about your hair. They can enforce dress codes, but after that, they are not legally allowed to stop you from wearing your hair a certain way or having body piercings. They can only stop you from wearing things that can be harmful to other student. I used to wear one of those rings that covers your whole finger. They said it could be a hazard. I understood. But locks are not a hazard. You have a legal right to wear them proudly.

Thanks Eagle. That's a good paper. I'll remember that

updated by @baba-fats: 07/22/15 11:36:51AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i get inspred sometimes

Baba Fats said:

If it's a public school, they can't do anything about your hair. They can enforce dress codes, but after that, they are not legally allowed to stop you from wearing your hair a certain way or having body piercings. They can only stop you from wearing things that can be harmful to other student. I used to wear one of those rings that covers your whole finger. They said it could be a hazard. I understood. But locks are not a hazard. You have a legal right to wear them proudly.

Thanks Eagle. That's a good paper. I'll remember that

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

moved and featured cause it can hothers facing same issues

--
 / 4

Dislike 0