Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

So mad about people being biased.

Star
@star
13 years ago
19 posts

I got a 'talking to" at the end of my work day about my appearance, which supposedly is "getting worse." Tattoos,piercings, and dreads...oh my! Why do I need to make others comfortable with my appearance? If I do my job well (which I do) then how can my appearance even be a factor? How can women wear clothes that reveal their breasts, and I'm the issue? How can I live with my decision to meet common ground and keep my job, feel like a sell out, and yet still know that others are hating my appearance? I feel so kicked to the ground and I've been going through tears and rage since 3:30 now...SUPPORT needed.

updated by @star: 01/13/15 09:11:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

tell your boss that attitudes and work ethics matter more then appearance and you think the low ciut shirts the bickerig and complaiitudes of cooworkers need to be addressed before how u choose to dress and pressent yourself

give your boss a talkinmg to

before he gets to complain u start complkaiunig about what you see going wrong there

tell him that u beliewve customers are more put off by workers who are suposed to serve them telling them to wait while they gab on phons or keep them on hold forever

show yoiur boss that your a better worker then anyoe there and thats why customers rspect you more then others

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Not to sound like an ignoramus Just claim racism. This is obviously the case. If you were black with dreads they would not have said boot. If they keep getting on your case tell them that. Ive been to many places and seen people with tons of tattoos and no one says boot.

KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
13 years ago
122 posts

I agree with SE and Mary. Don't let some a-hole try to dictate what you do with your hair.

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Thanks KnottyPrincess,

I was riding the bus and the driver had an arm tattoo and they are city employees. I think that person is just uncomfortable and is making it seem like others have a problem. Although I can see his problem with facial piercings during your shift. Maybe wearing a retainer?

Star
@star
13 years ago
19 posts

Let me clarify...I actually have a career, I teach. I went to school for 6 years, have my master's degree, attend tons of professional development, run activities after school and work my tail off to make my kids feel respected, loved, cared for while I present engaging differentiated lessons. I know I do great, my boss is uncomfortable about how my presence affects the community...I agree Mary, I think it is totally racist. Myancestorsare Scottish and had dreads...why does me being white make it a topic? thanks all, you are empowering!

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Oh ok. You are a grown woman and this is the lifestyle that you choose to practice. He obviously does not understand that just ignore him.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

you students should be so lucky to have an outstanding teacher such as yourself, who is not afraid to stand up for what they believe in. just know that if not all, many of them see this and have much respect for you i am sure, no matter their age.

Star
@star
13 years ago
19 posts

Thanks guys. Change...THANKS..my husband and I were talking about how kids can feel like they don't belong or don't fit in, or feel weird because they are different. I hope if at all, that some of them see me as different in a way that they think, "I can be different and successful, while being myself." I thought our country learned its lesson on assimilation!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form