Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

"Your dreads just don't look like other people's."

Devon
@devon
13 years ago
19 posts

For the last three months I've decided to let my hair dread, my mother has been harsh andjudgmental about it. She insists that my dreadlocks don't look like the "coiled ones" she sees people with at malls. It angers me how someone who got their " dreadlocks " instant made at a salon is being compared to my journey by my mother like this. She calls my hair ratty and constantly makes snide remarks about it... I just wanted to encourage the dreading community to be self confident despite the negative remarks from even people close to you. I'm loving my journey and am proud to be growing dreadlocks.

updated by @devon: 02/14/15 12:11:13PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

when she says "your dreads dont look like other peoples" just say "good theyre not suposed to"

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amy Lanning
@amy-lanning
13 years ago
6 posts

love this! I sure hope mine dont look like anybody elses!!

Panga
@panga
13 years ago
6 posts

I've had numerous people say the same thing and that they don't look like dreads at all.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

I just looked at your pics Panga...looks like dreads to me! :) And SE is absolutely correct...dreads are like fingerprints and unique to every individual! I was at Venice Beach yesterday and saw about 200 dreadies (the most I have experienced in one place!). I talked to alot of people too and all of them were very supportive and nice. They gave me lots of praise and encouragement. This one Jamaican guy told me..."You go on giving them luv sister, they grow, they be happy that way...you on the right path". It made me feel great. Even in a sea of locs, I never saw two heads that were the same...amazing.

Panga said:

I've had numerous people say the same thing and that they don't look like dreads at all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it took 15 years b4 my mom stopped mentioning cutting my hair in every single conversation

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

lmao

soaring eagle said:

it took 15 years b4 my mom stopped mentioning cutting my hair in every single conversation

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

I have been told that, too. And I ended up being convinced to put wax in my hair. BUT once I bought the wax and looked at it with the lid off, I decided I'd rather not put that sh*t in muh hair. :/

Everyone else is right, "dreads are like fingerprints." They are not supposed to look like anyone else's. Nobody looks like a human before they are born, and your hair will not look like what most people think dreadlocks look like for quite a while. I, too, am glad you are not letting words get to you. Only silly people let stuff like that bother them. Myself included. :P

Panga
@panga
13 years ago
6 posts

That's what I'm saying! :) But most people I run into think they are supposed to be instant, perfectly maintained and uniform. I agree with Haley - I love my hair more now than I have ever!

Panterra Caraway said:

I just looked at your pics Panga...looks like dreads to me! :) And SE is absolutely correct...dreads are like fingerprints and unique to every individual! I was at Venice Beach yesterday and saw about 200 dreadies (the most I have experienced in one place!). I talked to alot of people too and all of them were very supportive and nice. They gave me lots of praise and encouragement. This one Jamaican guy told me..."You go on giving them luv sister, they grow, they be happy that way...you on the right path". It made me feel great. Even in a sea of locs, I never saw two heads that were the same...amazing.

Panga said:

Devon
@devon
13 years ago
19 posts

Thanks for the personal experiences and support everyone! I feel like there's an army of people on my side.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form