dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads that hate dreads?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont get this?

ya know those salon dreads that think real dreads are gross? so why do they want dreads if they think dreads are gross?

mind boggling isnt it? and yet theyd spend tons of money and lots of time to create a fake looking version of dreads? to imitate what they hate?

does anyone understand this?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 02:49:27AM
lysergic.nightshade
@lysergicnightshade
13 years ago
41 posts

Strange. When in fact a lot of salon dreads my use wax which may cause mold, and real 'grossness'. Also, I hear of a lot of salons telling you to not wash your hair for like 6 months, which is obviously gross.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly this fool that says clean healthy dreads are gross also is defending salobs that say not to wash for months

crazy dreadhead wannabes

--
Adam Jaymes Robinson
@adam-jaymes-robinson
13 years ago
19 posts

Hahaha.. oh yes.. the "designer dreads..." I think its hilarious, really, when people tell me that my dreads should be perfectly uniform. Most of the people that tell me this are people who do not have dreads or my black brothas and sistas who give me the example of lil layme (lil wayne), but every once in awhile ill get the inevitable "dreadhead" that asks me how I "did" my locs. I tell them that I just let my hair grow, wash, and sometimes seperate and almost everytime,that would que the stare of shock. I laugh inside my head because i already know what their thinking generally; that I should have big, nasty tubes of wax on top of my head instead of, healthy, organic, freeformed, marleyesque locs. It saddens me deeply to know that locs have become almost a sort of a novelty. Its now part of a bland uniform and stands most notably for smoking ganja. No longer does locing stand for freedom, or rebellion, or even individuality. Jah wept.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

haha ye exactly the designer name brand "Gucci" locks

kida the oposite of freedom

they become a slave to the image

--
Evelyn Maes
@evelyn-maes
13 years ago
30 posts

Same thing as that woman in my blog who claimed that her dreads were way better than mine because they are all the same and she maintains them like every 3 months in a salon. I like my dreads how they are, with al the loops and bumps. She also claimed that if i would not use wax they will break haha.

When people ask me how my dreads are made, i'm honest and tell thel i let them do in a salon but i also tell them i wouldn't do that again. Not that i'm not happy with how they evolve but it was to expensive and removing the wax wasn't that nice. Also she gave me bad advice, lucky for me i did my own research.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

change the image by calling all non salon dreads "shitlocks" no they create..and reinforce the image

MONIQUE said:

i dont think u get what they dont like. they dont like locs that are just left alone to knot. to them that is unkempt. and in reality it is hard to get a job with locs that look that way. to them locs that look like that defeat the hard work they feel they are doing to change everyones image of locs. that locs does not have to look unkempt . if u are secure in how u look u wouldnt care what others think of ur locs anyway . so to each his own.

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
13 years ago
362 posts

I really think it's just a difference in perception...that and it's hard to say without knowing what said person's deffinition of 'real dreads' is. Maybe they think that 'real dreads' equate to that nasty beaver tail look... there's really little way to tell.

Some people just really want nice, uniform locks. It's not my cup of tea (though at times I've thought it might be), but for some people those are the only dreads that are acceptable. It's just a difference in opinion (and a possible misunderstanding/ for lack of finding better words), not some strange paradox.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

A few days ago I started a conversation with a customer who was playing video poker at my store. He was African American with little tiny locks all over his head. I asked him how he started his dreads and he told me that they were created by his stylist at a salon. I didn't try to give him any advice or vice versa...we just had a conversation where we expressed how we cared for our hair. I didn't ask how often he went in for maintenance but he told me that he doesn't wash his own hair. He said that he lets his stylist handle this because then he doesn't have to worry about how long it takes to dry and that he hates having wet hair. They sit him under the dryers after washing it until it's dry.

My daughter's father loves dreads. It sounds amazing until he admits that he believes the most beautiful dreads are created and maintained in a salon. We had a short fling during which time my daughter was conceived. Pretty quickly we figured out out personalities weren't compatible enough for anything beyond a friendship. Early in my pregnancy he started seeing another woman who also had dreadlocks. She is a black woman who has short and very uniform dreads with the exception of one in the front that is twice the length of all the others.

I don't know what prompted him to tell me...but he said that her locks were much more beautiful than mine because they were uniform and had no stray hair out of place.

What's funny about him making this comment is she told me she was jealous that I had long organic looking dreads that were so soft when you touched them.

Even as we speak he is growing out his hair so that he can have a salon put dreads in for him. Guess my daughter is going to grow up seeing both sides.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Yeah, if I didn't 'do' my own locks they wouldn't really be MINE, ya know? (Not that I've 'done' anything to them or anything...) They'd be a creation of another person.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form