Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I miss when your hair was beautiful !

ashley ✿
@ashley
13 years ago
167 posts
So. who else here has people (friends and family) saying "oh i miss your old hair," "I want to see your beautiful hair again," "Your hair would be so beautiful if it weren't in dreads," ? I have been getting reamed with these questions as of late, and frankly it's making me quite pissy. Why can't my friends and family just accept that i have dreadlocks, have had them for the past nine, almost ten months? It's such a frustrating thing because one friend in particular that i have been hanging around quite frequently has been on my case about how beautiful my hair used to be and stuff..i have ignored their comments before, but these are coming quite frequently, and it's frustrating me so immensely..any one else have this problem so late into their journey ? i mean, if you wanted to get on me about my dreads, do it in the first few months, don't wait until i've had them two months shy of a year man..
updated by @ashley: 02/14/15 04:43:00AM
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I get it all the time, "oh you had such beautiful curls" "it used to be so long and gorgeous" "you are wasting your natural curls letting them knot like that" then last night I went out for the first time with friends, and let my dreads down and didn't throw on a bandana (my husband and I rarely get out) and I had someone actually realize they were dreads and not just a messy hair do, and I had someone say he had to feel them, but I did have one guy say "what are you doing to your hair?! What happened to your long black curls?" so I told him and he just called me lazy.....*sigh* people are always going to find something to nit pick about and dreads seem to be the easiest. What I don't get the most is when I had my curls, they were always thrown up in a ponytail/bun thing because they were so much maintenance so you didn't see my curls but once a month when I decided to take an hour on my hair >.<
ashley ✿
@ashley
13 years ago
167 posts
exactly! i have naturally curly hair, and everyone ALWAYS comments on how beautiful the curls where, but most of the time i had em up in a messy bun cos i didnt want to waste the time making them into the 'beautiful curls' that everyone loved, its just uuuugggghhh raaawrrrrr !
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
tell em beauty is in the eye of the beholder and and theres plenty of ppl who think its more beautiful now..including me.. if u dont like it u dont gotta behold it but at the very least u should shut the hell up about it cause i think my hairs beautiful now and i dont need you trying to bring me down

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ashley ✿
@ashley
13 years ago
167 posts
(: zaaactly, i thank yall for the lovely words, it makes me feel good that there's this whole huge community out there (dreadlockssite) that's like a family and we support one another, and SE, you're like, the best(:
Susanne Gorman
@susanne-gorman
13 years ago
19 posts
Your locks are beautiful! It is unfortunate that so many people have a warped idea on what beauty is. Chemical filled processed and abused hair is deemed beautiful and glamorous? Not to me. Nature does not make mistakes! Enjoy your locks lovely lady....forget those that cannot see how gorgeous they are:)
ashley ✿
@ashley
13 years ago
167 posts
exactly! i really do take it as an insult when people say stuff like that about my dreads..and thank you Susanne! i think they're lovely as well(:
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

I have one friend that jokes about how he misses my soft pillowy hair because it was so comfy to sleep on lol.

most of my friends are pretty supportive, but I get some family and friends tht are constantly riding me. 'its so ugly' and 'why don't you stop dreading' it's pretty easy to ignore for the most part because they're the same people that didn't like my fro and would prefer if I chemically destroyed my hair.

Dreads are beautiful. You can't change to make other people happy. End of story.

ashley ✿
@ashley
13 years ago
167 posts
quite true(: dreads are beautiful! and i cant believe how people could consider my hair before beautiful when it was filled with creams and stuff..
Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
13 years ago
79 posts

my mom has been saying she would cut off my hair if i get dreads, but my hair is already really similar to dreads naturally, im just thinking about doing it and say what she says when someone gets a bad haircut "It's just hair"
ashley said:
exactly! i have naturally curly hair, and everyone ALWAYS comments on how beautiful the curls where, but most of the time i had em up in a messy bun cos i didnt want to waste the time making them into the 'beautiful curls' that everyone loved, its just uuuugggghhh raaawrrrrr !
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form