Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks and school/

alex forgets
@alex-forgets
14 years ago
7 posts
I really need some help here because i have no idea what to do.I've been wanting to dreadlock my hair for over a year now. i have my reasons for doing it and now i can't wait to get started.One thing though.My school arn't so happy on the idea, and say that they would only accept them if it was a deep cultural/religious reason. Im classed as white british.Yet i've seen around school a number of girls in the same grade/year as me, who have coloured skin, wear braids and such for personal preference.To me it feels like the school is being prejudice.Of course Im not going to just go and do it: I had to make sure there weren't any complications like its a health issue, etc.I went about it to find out "they haven't come across with this problem before" so members of senior staff talked about it and in the end they came to me with the cultural/religious reason.Putting the dreadlocks aside, i was really quite upset when I was told I can't discuss to anyone about it and I've basically been stoned walled. I can't even talk to my headteacher about it. I had the deputy-head stop me and quite agresively say "I don't advise you do that, it'll make you look like your being arrogant and just doing as you please- you're coming across like that"The school just want me to go away. They say student voice is important to them but right now they just want me to cave in and leave them alone.I don't want to stop fighting, and its only early days. But what am I suppose to do now :/
updated by @alex-forgets: 02/14/15 07:44:02AM
Lisandre Tessier
@lisandre-tessier
14 years ago
17 posts
This is prejudice! And since your reasons for having dreads concern only you, who are they to say it's not deep enough so that they can accept it? Anyways, I'll be more than happy to write to your school and give them my point of view.But seriously, first of all, you should talk to your head teacher.And, you know what? Get the dreads. They can't kick you out for that.Stay strong! :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
you do not need to be rasta to have deep cultural or religuios reasons u dont need to be black to be rastaall religions except for hari krishna have dreads as a part of themfor jews and christians its the nazarite vow muslims and hindus have thewyrew own beliefs and personal spirituality as well can be an argumentsubmit a letter stating someth9ng like thisdreadlocks have been a part of every culyure and almost every religio9n on earth since ancient times and are also part of a personal spiritual desire to return to a more natural ezxistence it is my belief and conviction that no government ar private agency hass any rights to force me to live a non natural existence. combbing andd grooming the hair and uusing nion natural products goes against my beliefsfurthermore every court case has ruled that not only are prisoners guaranteed the right to dread, they are not legaly able to be required to cover theyre dreads or conceal them or maintain them in any particular wayy.the courts have already ruled in my favor including the highest courts (whar countery are u from?) so continuing to violate my rights would be ill advisedthen do as you please but keep that letter for your records after submitting it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lisandre Tessier
@lisandre-tessier
14 years ago
17 posts
You're a wise man :) soaringeagle said:
you do not need to be rasta to have deep cultural or religuios reasons u dont need to be black to be rasta

all religions except for hari krishna have dreads as a part of them
for jews and christians its the nazarite vow muslims and hindus have thewyrew own beliefs and personal spirituality as well can be an argument
submit a letter stating someth9ng like this

dreadlocks have been a part of every culyure and almost every religio9n on earth since ancient times and are also part of a personal spiritual desire to return to a more natural ezxistence it is my belief and conviction that no government ar private agency hass any rights to force me to live a non natural existence. combbing andd grooming the hair and uusing nion natural products goes against my beliefs
furthermore every court case has ruled that not only are prisoners guaranteed the right to dread, they are not legaly able to be required to cover theyre dreads or conceal them or maintain them in any particular wayy.

the courts have already ruled in my favor including the highest courts (whar countery are u from?) so continuing to violate my rights would be ill advised

then do as you please but keep that letter for your records after submitting it
owen thompson
@owen-thompson
14 years ago
19 posts
i believe things that people want/desire in life that are hard to come by must be voiced, and it is your voice and strength alone that will help you to prevail in what you want in life so like Lisandre and S.E. said stay strong speak up and fight the good fight!! Bless*
alex forgets
@alex-forgets
14 years ago
7 posts
thanks! & I'm from england. Lisandre Tessier said:
You're a wise man :)

soaringeagle said:
you do not need to be rasta to have deep cultural or religuios reasons u dont need to be black to be rasta

all religions except for hari krishna have dreads as a part of them
for jews and christians its the nazarite vow muslims and hindus have thewyrew own beliefs and personal spirituality as well can be an argument
submit a letter stating someth9ng like this

dreadlocks have been a part of every culyure and almost every religio9n on earth since ancient times and are also part of a personal spiritual desire to return to a more natural ezxistence it is my belief and conviction that no government ar private agency hass any rights to force me to live a non natural existence. combbing andd grooming the hair and uusing nion natural products goes against my beliefs
furthermore every court case has ruled that not only are prisoners guaranteed the right to dread, they are not legaly able to be required to cover theyre dreads or conceal them or maintain them in any particular wayy.

the courts have already ruled in my favor including the highest courts (whar countery are u from?) so continuing to violate my rights would be ill advised

then do as you please but keep that letter for your records after submitting it
Arturis Static
@arturis-static
14 years ago
51 posts
I read your story,Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes!
alex forgets
@alex-forgets
14 years ago
7 posts
will do! ill have to post photos and such online.im not giving up that easily on them. Arturis Static said:
I read your story,

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes!
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
I agree with everything that's been said...but I want to add that them not wanting you to talk to anyone is total BS...they know that they are in the wrong and if people know what they're doing, they'll have to give in. Talk to your parents if they're on your side(if not then maybe they'll support you out of love? lol) and talk to your head teacher and get their support in convincing them.Dreadlocks are not a distraction, they are not hazardous, they will not cause problems, and you should be able to have them if you want. The only explanation you have to give them is "I am going to get them because I believe I should." (which to me is deep spiritual reasons to do so)
alex forgets
@alex-forgets
14 years ago
7 posts
My parents arn't so keen on me having them but they understand why i want dreadlocks and know that im not going to change my mind- my heart is set.they've called the school up and are making an appointment for them to talk to the headteacher and such about how they've dealt with the situation and allow them to give me sometime to talk about dreadlocks. This isn't just for me personally anymore, what if more "white british" people come to this school and want their hair in braids? or dreadlocked? I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one.& I completely agree! They arn't going to have any effect on my school education. The reason why I think they're not so happy is that they have a reputation to "maintain" and if people see me with "messy/mangled" hair they may think twice before sending their children up to that high school. Personally I think thats stupid, and there's a high school just as good in the area who has a teacher, a white british teacher, with dreadlocks himself. And a student. So I don't know why my school is being all fussy and awkward. Paula said:
I agree with everything that's been said...but I want to add that them not wanting you to talk to anyone is total BS...they know that they are in the wrong and if people know what they're doing, they'll have to give in. Talk to your parents if they're on your side(if not then maybe they'll support you out of love? lol) and talk to your head teacher and get their support in convincing them.

Dreadlocks are not a distraction, they are not hazardous, they will not cause problems, and you should be able to have them if you want. The only explanation you have to give them is "I am going to get them because I believe I should." (which to me is deep spiritual reasons to do so)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form