Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I knew it would happen and it did

LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
I knew it would happen and it did. I lost an opportunity at a job because of my hair. I went in, got an application from one of the managers, fillled it out and turned it in. A little over a week later, I find out from a friend that was also a manager there, that the person I talked to was the one in charge of hiring and that he wouldn't hire me bacause I was wearing a tam(he knew they're for dreadlocks). So without ever even seeing my hair. He decided I wasn't right for the job. That is such BULLSHIT!What is up with these people who hate dreadlocks? Why does my hair matter sooo much that I can't get a job?Has anyone else here ever been turned down for a job because of your locs?
updated by @lowryderman: 01/13/15 08:42:24PM
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
Very true Knottysleeves said:
Sorry to hear that. But it may be a blessing in disguise -- if an employer is THAT concerned about appearances and isn't even willing to meet you personally to find out if you would be an awesome employee, then you probably wouldn't be happy working for that kind of person anyway. THEIR loss for losing someone who could have done a terrific job for them and been very productive!
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
Well, it's looks like I've actually found a job, FINALLY! I have a friend that works at a vets office and they were able to get me a job there. Now I just have to move up to Indianapolis(about an hour away from where I currently live) and I should be starting right away.
karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
that sucks, same thing happened when i shaved my head...when i changed my mindset to 'everything happens for a reason' life got better...Hope your new job is awesome :)
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Although not everyone or every business is open to dreadlocks, I think a lot of what we think manifests itself in reality. If we go into a job interview thinking " I will NOT get this job because of my hair" You will in fact, probably not get the job. If you go in with your head held high and believe you are just as qualified, if not more so than any other boring straight haired person, and would be a unique asset to their business, you've upped your chances! Many Blessings
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
This is very true, and it just happened to me finally! But there are some places that have a standard and it is set in writing that you must be clean shaven or hair no longer then the ears if you are a boy, no piercings/tats. I can't work at Snowbird, where my whole family works or has worked because of my hair, so I figured it just wasn't meant to be and I will find the right employer for me eventually. You just have to stick through the hard times, it will make the good times that much better! NaturalWomyn said:
Although not everyone or every business is open to dreadlocks, I think a lot of what we think manifests itself in reality. If we go into a job interview thinking " I will NOT get this job because of my hair" You will in fact, probably not get the job. If you go in with your head held high and believe you are just as qualified, if not more so than any other boring straight haired person, and would be a unique asset to their business, you've upped your chances! Many Blessings
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
yes some places will take one look and say no way before even allowing you a second of their time. Those places must be terribly stifling to work at anyway!lol!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
be your own boss why make 10% so your boss can make 20 and his boss make 80

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
That's what they did to me NaturalWomyn said:
yes some places will take one look and say no way before even allowing you a second of their time. Those places must be terribly stifling to work at anyway!lol!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form