Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Something I am very curious about. Has anyone who is white/hispanic/asian anything other than black had issues with black people over their dreads?

Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Love that! Jake Holland said:
I have yet to run into any negative comments to my face at least. I'm sure I can come up with some sort of clever confusing comment or just tell them "oh these, yeah their my ignorance filter"

updated by @island-mamma: 07/23/15 07:53:06AM
Zachary Al Joseph Warfel
@zachary-al-joseph-warfel
14 years ago
34 posts
I like going with the confused and/or insane comeback.likeWHAT THE F*CK HAPPENED TO MY HAIR?!!!or just say something completely random likedoppleganger chucklefuck
DON D
@don-d
14 years ago
18 posts
dnt be afraid of anything.. .no one will mess with you over your hair.. ppl can be ignorant.. if they only knew the facts, they prolly wouldnt speak at all... do what u do and dnt ever let someone intimidate u.. buck up haha. jk.. DONT WORRY ABOUT NOTHING OF THAT NATURE LIFE IS TOO SHORT...
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
I just get looks... no comments so far but they do stare...
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Yeah I think the worrying was all for nothing :)I tend to be paranoid about things like this but today I just let my hair down(I don't like tying it) and it felt great to just relax and stop worrying about nonsense.Wow. These babies are extremely therapeutic. They've already helped me overcome various...issues...I have, and it's only been 2-ish weeks! :Dand you know it's not just the dreads.. it's this AMAZING website!! Thanks to all of you!! I don't think I've ever known such nice and supportive people!
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
Honey, there's going to be assholes no matter what color their skin is. It's just that you have dreads which is in our society dubbed a "black thing" so you're going to be accused of trying to act black. I've gotten made fun of by plenty of white people because of how I talk and dress. I'm half black half Mexican, but because my hair is past my butt and much thicker than the average person all my white classmates made fun of me and went out of their way to convince the school I wore weave. It happens. I used to get made fun of for wearing skirts everyday with my combat boots rather than blue jeans and sparkley flats like the other girls. Point is, everyones always got something to say. Everyone is going to a set opinion of you no matter what. Whether it be black people, white people, Asians, or even the very race you belong to. As cheesey as it sounds, what you think is what should matter at the end of the day. No one can decide who or what kind of person you're going to be other than self. Smile and keep walking. Nothing hurts a bully more than a protected shell and sweet smile. ;)
Earthstudios
@earthstudios
14 years ago
108 posts
Yea I'm kinda going to go through the same what the hell are you doing, but not being accused of stealing the natural ability to have my hair tie knots. I live right now in a town of 1000, Redneck central, southern Idaho. I hear the N word on a regular basis. And its going to be uneducated hicks making comments as my hair starts knotting up. But whatever, I wont take any of it personally I'd be stupid to actually care what these morons think. And I got greener pastures ahead of me. Once my house sells I'm off to Northern California, ahhhh drool... :) It all comes down to what makes you happy!!!
Jo
@jo
14 years ago
176 posts
I havent had anyone of a different race comment on my hair, but I have had white people say things to the effect of "What are you trying to be black?" or called me rasta mom. I'm ashamed to say it, but I do live in a predominantly white neighborhood, no I've never had an encounter with anyone of a different race about my hair.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Well said hunny.My mom always says (in a really bad fake Jamaican accent) "You looka' lika jamaican mama" when I wear a head wrap, finally I said "Naw I'm not trying to be a Jamaican mama but I'm a proud mama of Jamaicans ;)" Corny I know but hey... ZuriYAH "Zii" said:
Honey, there's going to be assholes no matter what color their skin is. It's just that you have dreads which is in our society dubbed a "black thing" so you're going to be accused of trying to act black. I've gotten made fun of by plenty of white people because of how I talk and dress. I'm half black half Mexican, but because my hair is past my butt and much thicker than the average person all my white classmates made fun of me and went out of their way to convince the school I wore weave. It happens. I used to get made fun of for wearing skirts everyday with my combat boots rather than blue jeans and sparkley flats like the other girls. Point is, everyones always got something to say. Everyone is going to a set opinion of you no matter what. Whether it be black people, white people, Asians, or even the very race you belong to. As cheesey as it sounds, what you think is what should matter at the end of the day. No one can decide who or what kind of person you're going to be other than self. Smile and keep walking. Nothing hurts a bully more than a protected shell and sweet smile. ;)
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
Awe thanks sister rags :3333also, I get knocked on fr wearing head wraps all the time. People ask me if I'm Muslim wen they KNOW I'm not. -.-
updated by @zeefighter: 07/23/15 06:38:50PM

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form