dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Racial Appropriation Discrimination

SquidFase
@squidfase
9 years ago
24 posts

Hello there my fellow lockies. 

I haven't been on in awhile, but I wanted to share with you my first negative reaction to my dreadlocks! 

Most of the time when people (of any race) see my dreadlocks, they shower me with compliments and positive feedback. Seeing my locks even encouraged one young lady to keep hers going! She was going neglect route and was having those newbie worries we all had once upon a time. 

So I made a friend in the last year. I will let you know right now that this friend is a caucasian female. She let me know very soon in our friendship that she was a feminist. That's awesome! I can get on with the woman rights. So as time goes on, I also noticed she proclaimed to be all about equality. Some more time went by and I realized, shes not about all equality, shes about african american equality. Which is awesome too, everyone should have equal rights. (Though I didn't understand why she chose this one particular race over all races, I admit.) I soon found out she was Anti-Racist, which apparently is just as bad as being racist - because usually it ends up being racist!

So one day she posts something about negative views of "white people with black hairstyles" aka dreadlocks.  I asked her about it, and then she goes off on me about how I shouldn't have dreadlocks because of..wait for it... my skin color?!  WHAT? Of course I'm not nice about it.  She gives me these links where an africian american woman rants about how white people can't have dreadlocks without damaging their hair. Of course I know better, we all do! 

Although I didn't let her know, this made me slightly insecure. I then took a week after that and literally asked every other race person who walked through my job doors about how they felt of me having dreadlocks. What a surprise, they all loved them, and no one felt any racial aggression towards me about them. 

I expected this to come up with another race, not my own and being my own friend. It truly irritated me. 

updated by @squidfase: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

odd thing is the ones that scream appropriation nearly always have salon dreads

they call it cultural appropriation

the culture is the culture of shamans babas gurus  medicine men...of all races.. aspiritual culture so if anything its the salon dreaded african americans (or any other races race isnt a factor) that are appropriatingthe culture of the spiritual dreaded  babas

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SquidFase
@squidfase
9 years ago
24 posts

I just don't understand why anything has to be appriopriate now a days. I feel like next thing someones going to tell me is I can't eat sushi and ramen because I'm not asian! 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcourse all  races and cultures have only survived and advanced through cultural exposure  only 1 culture  discovered fishing abnotheragricultiure another potery another  music  etc etcetc  each culture met another culture and borrowed  what they learned from eachother

i always ask these'cultural appropriation" racists if they drive a car , or use a pc or electricity since they are all inventions of a diferent race but they have no problems with using those

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form