Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks in the U.S. Military

DreadfullyJaded
@dreadfullyjaded
11 years ago
31 posts

so Ive been reading up on regulations for military uniform and hairstyles. So some veterans say yes some say no. I'm really confused as to if i will have to say goodbye to my dreads if i want to serve my country. I was just wondering if anyone knew of had any opinions on this topic.

I found this in the rules:

"Leaders will judge the appropriateness of a particular hairstyle by the appearance of headgear when worn. Soldiers will wear headgear as described in the applicable chapters of this regulation. Headgear will fit snugly and comfortably, without distortion or excessive gaps. Hairstyles that do not allow soldiers to wear the headgear properly, or that interfere with the proper wear of the protective mask or other protective equipment, are prohibited."

And this link too:

http://kekeketchup.weebly.com/2/post/2013/02/the-us-military-and-the-ban-on-dreadlocks.html

updated by @dreadfullyjaded: 01/13/15 09:57:08PM
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

Im probably not the best source of info but; my step brother just got out of the army, was in for four years, and he had straight short hair that I wouldnt think affected his hat, and he had to cut it.. :x

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

there have been a rare few that have tried to fight it with a religios exception

they had to get like 50,000 signatures on petitions and really was a srruggle im not sure any suceeded

my suggestion

dont join

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I know a few people in the armed forces, and from what I've heard, honestly...those regulations are there to protect you, not to destroy your individuality. I guess...at the end of the day, what matters more to you -- your hair or your life?

But if you can find a way to keep your dreads and serve, then that's awesome, too.

Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

You will have to ask a recruiter for the particular branch you are interested in. I do know that Sikhs are allowed in the US military and they have long hair in turbans, so there are religious exemptions made.

A friend of mine's daughter went into the US Army, just last week, and she cut off all her hair, including a dread or two she had, but she did it for convenience for herself.

Rafael Rodriguez
@rafael-rodriguez
11 years ago
41 posts

You will have to cut it. With your hair the way it is it will not let a hat, or helment fit the way it is supposed to and they will ask you to cut it or comb it out so you can get a smaller bun. As SE said, dont join, join. If you want to help then join the red cross.

DreadfullyJaded
@dreadfullyjaded
11 years ago
31 posts

except it can i have tied them in a tight but for a job interview and i have worn a youths motorcycle helmet over them as well. i can fit goggles and gas masks on

Rafael Rodriguez said:

You will have to cut it. With your hair the way it is it will not let a hat, or helment fit the way it is supposed to and they will ask you to cut it or comb it out so you can get a smaller bun. As SE said, dont join, join. If you want to help then join the red cross.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form