Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To anyone thinking dreads might prevent you from finding a job..

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I'll admit, I was unsure that I would get hired as I walked into dunkin donuts for an interview. seeing as my hair is in the messiest stage, 3+ months. Even before dreading, my hair was always a disaster, causing previous employers to continually make me cover it up and "hide it" with braids as much as possible. I put it in a bun for the interview, hoping the manager wouldn't notice. She didn't say anything, and I started work the next morning :] on my second day a co worker asked me to take my hair down... Shit, I'm already going to get reprimanded, I thought. "Jennifer (manager) said you've got some cute dreadlocks." I was shocked, my thoughts initially were that they would notice eventually, maybe in two months, and just tolerate it. A couple more co workers came and starting admiring my locs, feeling them and asking tons of questions. The usual stuff that people assume, can you wash them, will you shave your head when you don't want them, etc.. I was happy to inform them of all the common fallacies and educate them a bit on the powerful and beautiful journey of growing locs. Now, dready brothers and sisters, if you're confident and show your character, any establishment worth working for will NOT discriminate against you for something as trivial and unrelated as a hair style (or lack of in lots of our cases;] ) i hope you're all having a beautiful day, and for you lucky ones that got it, enjoying the changing of the season!
updated by @melanie-rose: 01/13/15 09:49:38PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Having a sincere smile and a friendly personality go a long way in a job interview. Gone are the days of prim and proper uptight employers. Employees are the front line of business, personality is what counts. Congratulations on your new job. Peace

Pete
@pete
11 years ago
67 posts

Woah, nice sister! Sounds u teached alot ppl something. :-)

frederic masure
@frederic-masure
11 years ago
15 posts

Good to hear! I have dreads and a career too good employers look for competent people regardless of their appearance. My right arm is totally tattooed and the left one will be soon my employers didn't mind they actually thought I would help attract young people because it would help to show they are 'open' and 'dynamic'.

By the way I work for a railway company things are most definitely changing.

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

congratulations for ur new job.. :] and yea its so true its personal skills and ability that matters most in any field of work and not things like hair, no hair, straight hair or dreadlocks, tattos, no tattos, ..

these are just unnecesary mental blocks that ppl put themselves into and it doesnt do any justice to our true capabilities.. personally i would never work at a place which will reject me on grounds of my hairstyle. they dont deserve my services. and they dont know what they'll miss... ;)

Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
11 years ago
88 posts

i have two jobs lol and one of them being at wendys.

melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I haven't had an official "job" in about a year, but I need money for festival season. Feels good to be doing something and not laying around like I've done all winter. Thanks for the Congrats everyone. Love you all :]
Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
11 years ago
88 posts

it took me a yaer to get a job at wendys because everyone here is a judgemental ass wipe. but i was surprised i got the job actually because i deal with the common public everyday. now they want to promote me. perfect example of not why not to judge a book by its cover because i actually am a good working. they wouldnt of know that if they wouldnt of given me a chance.
melanie rose said:

I haven't had an official "job" in about a year, but I need money for festival season. Feels good to be doing something and not laying around like I've done all winter. Thanks for the Congrats everyone. Love you all :]
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form