Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

1st wash need help

ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

Ive started 2 weeks ago, was told to wait a month before 1st wash..Is it safe to now?,ALso i have alot of loose hair and alot thats not backcomb great,any tips on what i should be doing first few washes.and what i should be doing as of maintance after their clean??..Posted a picture any comments and help how i did them and looking would be great..

updated by @ash-kerley: 02/14/15 09:51:11AM
ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

Just cant take almost 3 weeks in and no wash also the bands holding in place

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Have you looked at the Dreaducation portion of this site? It has a lot of info on how to let them lock up naturally with washing and separating, and is a great place to start. You can wash with a residue-free shampoo; or with a baking soda (BS) wash, followed by apple cider vinegar - be sure to read up on the right amounts and dilutions for best results. I am sure others will comment/suggest more
ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Oh, and you can carefully cut out all of the bands first so they don't get stuck forever ;)
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Salons are always ridiculous. People should wash 2-3 times a week in the beginning, right from the get go. Clean hair dreads, simple as that. To get true dreads, they must loosen up and start shrinking, turning into dreads. Your scalp is already telling you it needs to be clean, always listen to your scalp. Please take out those bands, besides causing root damage, they will slowly rot, dissolve and be fed into your hair. If your roots are constricted, then they can't dread. Dreading is a journey, not instant, anything instant are not true dreads.

Loose hair is natural, they will join together to grow into dreads, never worry about them. All you gotta do, after the bands are out, is wash, let them loosen up so they can dread, and separate sections that try and join together. That's it.

Since your scalp is talking to you, do the baking soda wash to exfoliate the scalp, it will be so happy for it. Oh yes, unless you have super oily hair, always do the Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after washing with baking soda, this will balance the PH and condition your hair. Go with the journey, you'll love the ride. Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

sections look too big to me

count them how many are there if under 20 comb out and start over

not wash for a month? what idiot told u thaat

u should wsash every 3-4 days

the bands should have come out on day 1

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

ok, and until i fount this site other peoples input..I plan on taking the bandsout Tomorrow and doing the 1st wash, I have super straight hair, pretty fine texture.. I have 23 a few twice the size,due to thin hair on top..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok 23 they will be pretty fat especialy on top

u could easily have gone with twice as many

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

i was unaware of the size chart when doing them,Im not wanting to thick Maybe i should break up a few and see how that goes..Little rough I had to do by myself, My hair was about 6 inchs when started now its around 4 1/2 any other tips on keeping them together and seperated after washing being so short..THanks guys for the help, Stoked i came upon this site,

ash kerley
@ash-kerley
11 years ago
28 posts

sorry i ment 33 sections,

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form