Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help a newby

everliving4HIM
@everliving4him
11 years ago
3 posts

Hey all.I just joined this site and am new to the whole dreading idea. I was just wondering if any of you had any advice for one just starting this journey? Maybe tips on preparing my scalp and hair? Not sure if my hair is even long enough yet to lock. Anyway. I have been using natural methods to wash for months now. Apple cider vinegar with essential oils ( rosemary and thyme) and a liitle organic aloe as well. I usually wash every two days. I haven't used a comb or brush durring this time either. I have very thick, dark caucasian hair..Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Bless.

updated by @everliving4him: 02/14/15 11:53:29AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

acv is used to condition or reset the ph not to wash wash with baking soda do aa rinse after with very weak acv

then just keep not combing and it will dread

if yoir only using acv it wi[ont want to dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Podo
@podo
11 years ago
25 posts
I just started my journey too and all the advice I got leads to getting the liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com to start your dreads( I'm getting my bottle next week )and then get the bars after your hair locks and enjoy the ride lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

that definately helps for sure tho the baking soda acv isnt a bad start either since its a no touch soak

but its gotta be done right just using acv wont do it

--
everliving4HIM
@everliving4him
11 years ago
3 posts
Do you have a link or recipe for the baking soda wash? Should I rinse with the weak acv after every wash? The oils and aloe? Good or no? I have lot of people tell a lot of different things.... Use this no use this. Very confusing. Thanks for the advice.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Baking soda wash: mix 1/2 cup of BS to 5 Cups water, leave on head for 10-20 minutes to exfoliate the scalp, no scrubbing is done. Rinse well. Now add 1-2 capfuls of Apple Cider Vinegar to 5 cups water, pour on head and rinse off within a minute. Rinse well and follow by a cold rinse. That's it. Peace

everliving4HIM
@everliving4him
11 years ago
3 posts
Thank u BarrelladyThat sounds simple enough. Gonna start using next time I wash..Bless
Jessie Mitalle
@jessie-mitalle
11 years ago
3 posts

Hey Barrellady, i've perused this site quite abit and have followed alot of the discussions. I found you most informative, so here I am with my questions. My dreads are 4+ yrs old and I am going 'way natural' and clean. I found this site. Explain to me the BS wash and ACV rinse, if you would be so kind. Is this process in the place of shampooing or is it in between shampoos with dreadlock shampoo bar?

I don't use wax but I do use a gel (Prov-A protein) from Sally Beauty's, to keep long strands of hair wrapped around a dread for some neatness.

I will be replacing that gel with dreadlock shampoo's gel come Thurs - payday.

Thanx with love & light Jessie

the Barrellady said:

Baking soda wash: mix 1/2 cup of BS to 5 Cups water, leave on head for 10-20 minutes to exfoliate the scalp, no scrubbing is done. Rinse well. Now add 1-2 capfuls of Apple Cider Vinegar to 5 cups water, pour on head and rinse off within a minute. Rinse well and follow by a cold rinse. That's it. Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Jessie, thanks for the compliment. The Baking Soda wash/ Apple Cider Vinegar rinse is a method of your hair washing, not as an extra in-between wash. Either use shampoo or the BS on that particular day. The Baking Soda is a scrub free method which exfoliates the scalp, releasing dead skin which naturally happens to everyone. The Apple Cider Vinegar, which is only on for 1 minute, balances the PH of the hair which is needed after using the BS. ACV is a conditioner which leaves no residue. Maybe for your 4 year old dreads this would be good to do once a month. The rest of your washings with a dread friendly shampoo/soap bar. So think of BS/ACV as a shampoo style all it's own.

It is recommended by others to use Jojoba, I have not heard of Prov-A-protien, ask Soaring Eagle or Baba Fats if that is okay on your 4yr old dreads.

Jessie Mitalle said:

Hey Barrellady, i've perused this site quite abit and have followed alot of the discussions. I found you most informative, so here I am with my questions. My dreads are 4+ yrs old and I am going 'way natural' and clean. I found this site. Explain to me the BS wash and ACV rinse, if you would be so kind. Is this process in the place of shampooing or is it in between shampoos with dreadlock shampoo bar?

I don't use wax but I do use a gel (Prov-A protein) from Sally Beauty's, to keep long strands of hair wrapped around a dread for some neatness.

I will be replacing that gel with dreadlock shampoo's gel come Thurs - payday.

Thanx with love & light Jessie

the Barrellady said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if u have 4 year old dreads u shouldnt use any gel except maybe aloe or somethung as a conditioner as needed

u can use the karma on ocasion for a tidy up if needed but they will dfread just fine with no gels at all

to the orifginal poster the aloes conditioning to so should be avoided till mati-ure

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form