Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey everyone! I'm a total noob to the dread world!

Kyle Ellis
@kyle-ellis
11 years ago
5 posts

Hey everybody my name is Kyle. I am just recently decided to do something awesome with my hair for once in my life!! First off I would to thank everyone who is involved in this site! I was very glad that I stumbled upon all the great info! And to think I almost bought one of those kits!!

Here are some things I have some questions about.

1. My hair isn't very long maybe 2". How long does it need to be to even think about 'dreading'?

2. From what I got from reading through the forums "natural" is the best way to do so but I was a bit confused on the process. How much can I wash my hair while trying to do this method ?

a) I also was concerned that I hardly ever comb my hair but I use my fingers to "style". Would I just need to stop touching my hair all together??

I hope that this will change my life. I have really been in a slump lately and for some reason (unexplainably) I have a huge desire to have dreads before I go bald ! I would really like to let go of my pride and get more in touch with my soul and allow my hair to become awesome on its own! Thanks for reading

updated by @kyle-ellis: 01/13/15 09:48:23PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u can start natural at any leangth but most likely wont dread till 6 incges u need 5 to tnr or nbacxkcomb

u can wash asoften s u want just nbot every day

and yea stiop playinwith your hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kyle Ellis
@kyle-ellis
11 years ago
5 posts

That's what I need to know. Thanks a lot. Your dreads are awesome btw!!!

soaring eagle said:

u can start natural at any leangth but most likely wont dread till 6 incges u need 5 to tnr or nbacxkcomb

u can wash asoften s u want just nbot every day

and yea stiop playinwith your hair

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

it will change your life if you let it! dreads have given me confidence and have influenced me in such positive ways. just let it go man. no finger brushing. just wash and go. lockin up liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com might help. you can use baking soda and apple cider vinegar too. cheap and effective

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

o yes will do many phases of change good change welcome the changes, we often fear change and new things places and things in general. dont fear the change my friend. its truly a beautiful thing. and ull change and grow in ways ud never thought could, its awesome. if u have faith and love for urself adn confidence ull go far, in life not just dreadlocks hahaha wen u want to give up give more lol . use that for more than this instance lol peace an dlove. JAZZY

Kyle Ellis
@kyle-ellis
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks a lot! So when I wash my hair do I need to be more gentle and not scrub so much??

KnotLady said:

it will change your life if you let it! dreads have given me confidence and have influenced me in such positive ways. just let it go man. no finger brushing. just wash and go. lockin up liquid shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com might help. you can use baking soda and apple cider vinegar too. cheap and effective

Kyle Ellis
@kyle-ellis
11 years ago
5 posts

I do find myself fearful of change at times. I know friends and family will question me and not agree with me but I'm willing to make the sacrifice! Thanks for the great advice Jazzy

jazzymomma said:

o yes will do many phases of change good change welcome the changes, we often fear change and new things places and things in general. dont fear the change my friend. its truly a beautiful thing. and ull change and grow in ways ud never thought could, its awesome. if u have faith and love for urself adn confidence ull go far, in life not just dreadlocks hahaha wen u want to give up give more lol . use that for more than this instance lol peace an dlove. JAZZY

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Its gonna be a journey that'll bring a lot of attitude changes in u.. most of them would be for the good.. lemme tell ya dreads are not always obedient they behave with a choice of their own especially if they are natural n u just have to let them be. good luck on ur journey man, n yea no comb and no fingers, n no styling. they'll style themselves as time goes. and if u use the baking soda/acv method to wash u dont need to scrub.. its a method in which u dont need to even touch them! all the best.

Kyle Ellis
@kyle-ellis
11 years ago
5 posts

I really think you are right. I can already see the changes in my attitude and the way I look at things. I was always worried how my hair looked and now I have to let it go.I appreciate it a lot. Thanks for the info!

Ojas Acharya said:

Its gonna be a journey that'll bring a lot of attitude changes in u.. most of them would be for the good.. lemme tell ya dreads are not always obedient they behave with a choice of their own especially if they are natural n u just have to let them be. good luck on ur journey man, n yea no comb and no fingers, n no styling. they'll style themselves as time goes. and if u use the baking soda/acv method to wash u dont need to scrub.. its a method in which u dont need to even touch them! all the best.

Diego F.
@diego-f
11 years ago
73 posts

i started with hair as 2-3 inches... It took me a long time to see the first knot [the first real knot i saw at the end of the sixth month, now i'm at 9.5 months], but after the first knot lots of them started popping on my head, and all of the hair on the back of my head are dreaded [shrinking like crazy, now i have some dreads that are 1 inch]... Only now some sections of the side of my hair started dreading [but most of them doesn't have any knots]...

You can start now. Maybe it will take a long time to dread, but i can assure you that in the end you will love it! Stop playing with your hair, it slows your progress, and your hands have natural oils... if you mess too much with your hair, the oils will get on your hair and this isn't good.

buy the locking up liquid shampoo from www.dreadlockshampoo.com it makes your hair and scalp a bit dry [not so much, it don't give you itches] and it really help your hair to dread.

Separate when needed [by my experience, i can tell you that starting with short hair you will have to be more aware about your sections, and shorter the hair, easier for them sticking at each other by the tips]

just be patient, gentle and love your hair and embrace your journey.

Hope my english make sense [ i'm learning by myself]

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form