Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Opinions on best methods to use essential oils to treat itchy scalps?

Teddyjo
@teddyjo
11 years ago
106 posts

just wanted to know what is the best method to apply essential oils to treat your itchy scalp and flakes. ive heard of#1 just putting it in your BS/ACV and normaly wash. #2 put some in the BS but NOT ACV. instead after you rinse out the ACV pour a bottle of essential oil/water mix over your hair and leave in. #3 applying it via spray bottle to wet hair/ and or dry. i wanted to know peoples own methods and how/if they helped

updated by @teddyjo: 01/13/15 09:47:40PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

thats like asking whats the best way to wet your hair dump water over your head go out in the rain or do a headstand in a puddle

it really doesnt matter

wet hairs wet hair

getting oils on yoir scalp gets oils on your scalp it doesnt matter how u get em there as long as u use em

it depends how bad your scalp ois that week if its not bad just do bs or acv if its in extra nred do bs or acv or both or 1 or other or both with added leaft on rinse

it really doeasnt matter except if u need a lil extra po\wer then do the leave on

someytimes i do 5 oils in the bs and 1 as a leave on cause i need that 1 more that wash

well lately i use dreadlockshampoo so when i use oils its after hat in a rinse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Yeah, the ACV made me have itchies, too. I think it's because it sloughs off dead scalp like a fiend. Not sure. Just a personal opinion. I had to cut it out entirely. My hair locked up waaaay faster without it, too.

The best way to add essential oils to your regime is right after you've washed and your head is still wet. Fill your long nosed pointy tipped squeeze bottle with warm water(1 cup will suffice) and add a few drops of essential oil. Shake and then shoot the warm water/EO combo in toward your roots all over. Literally lift your hair up in sections and get up in there. Let it sit for a minimum of three minutes and then rinse. Voila!

Four drops per cup of water is perfectly strong enough to get a healthy dose of EO medicine.

Basil works wonders, strangely enough. Makes the scalp tingle after five minutes but whoo boy does it feel good and clean and wonderful afterwards!! Deadens the itchies.

Hint: Don't do more than a few drops of one particular new EO at a time while testing it out. Basil really threw me for a loop because I never figured it'd make my scalp tingle like that. No other EO does that to me.

Also, just to get rid of itchies in general, consider not using plain baking soda full time. Alternate at least once a week with a good bar shampoo like this:

This is Mosalu dreadsoap with Citrus EO's . LOVELY!!! And only $5 a bar.

She also makes a fantabulous blue charcoal orange, coriander, black pepper, and rosemary(weird combo I know, but it's AWESOME I promise)

Mosalu also has a quirky licorice(anise EO) based shampoo bar with tea tree, peppermint, ylang ylang, rosemary, lemon, lavender and anise. It's like you're opening a bag of Twizzlers.

She's working hard on adding more dreadsoaps and likes playing around with unique EO combos. And I can't rave enough about how great these are on the scalp. Makes me actually want to wash my hair more often because it feels so great, lol.

NOT too moisturizing either, I want to make that clear. If you've got infant/baby dreads then it'll take a little while to get off the ground while using bar soaps but if you've got at least a dozen that that are tangled then you'll be good to go because she doesn't use shea, cocoa, or any heavy oils like avocado. These bars are perfect for Caucasian/Asian locks or for Black locks that don't need the extra super duper moisturization.

It's all about treating your scalp right, I think. The initial phase of itchies, everyone gets. Lord knows I did. I felt like I had fleas. But if it persists to the point that you're ready to rethinking letting your hair lock up and it's making you miserable then definitely look at alternative ways of scrubbing your head.

updated by @angel-frye: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Teddyjo, just in case you do not know, at the end of your shower, if you rinse your head in as cold water as you can take, it will help with the itches. Peace

Teddyjo
@teddyjo
11 years ago
106 posts

thanks, yeah ive been doing that but the water at my dorm doesnt get as cold as the one at home

the Barrellady said:

Teddyjo, just in case you do not know, at the end of your shower, if you rinse your head in as cold water as you can take, it will help with the itches. Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

If you have a little fridge in your dorm, fill up a water bottle & keep in your fridge, that way you can pour it on your scalp at the end of your shower.

Teddyjo said:

thanks, yeah ive been doing that but the water at my dorm doesnt get as cold as the one at home

the Barrellady said:

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Right on, Amanda. Good quality handmade bar soaps with essential oils are fantastic to neutralize the craziness going on with dready scalps. I think it has to do with the PH of the soap when it's cured and the fact that it's not harsh like baking soda.

It's so much easier once you get past that stage of needing to dry the hair out to lock it up to begin with but getting to that stage... eh. It can be trial and error for some people. For some people it's more of a trial by dandruff firing squad.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i think perhaps you could dilute the oils in a carrier like grapseed or jojoba oil , hsake it up or let it sit, then put some on your fnger tipsand massage it on your scalp. if that makes things too oily, follow it with a bs rinse

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

u could try usin peppermint oil.. not too many drops just 2-5 drops.. it might help wth the itches. i normally just add the oils together wth bs n spray all over my scalp wth a spray bottle.. hope that helps.

Teddyjo said:

the Barrellady said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form