Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Deep Cleaning.

Laura Nelson
@laura-nelson
11 years ago
16 posts

So, I separated a few monster dreads recently and the inside smelled kinda musky and gross and my friend told me I need to deep clean them. I never knew this was something I needed to do, I thought washing them every week or twice depending was sufficient. I would like to know exactly how to deep clean this. I am sure this is already on here somewhere and sorry for making a new post but when I searched "deep cleaning" I didn't find the recipe.

updated by @laura-nelson: 01/13/15 09:47:20PM
Doogie
@doogie
11 years ago
321 posts

Ok the BS ratio is something like 1 cup per 5 cups water. ACV is like a cap full in I think 1 liter.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

mix 1/2 cup baking soda to 5 cups water pour over head wait 10 minutes then rinse well

after thats rinsed out mix 2 tablespoons to 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 5 cups water (2 tablespoons young dreads 1/2 cup mature) pour on if young rinse right away if old wait 3 min then rinse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

you could also do a soak with the baking soda. same recipe as se mentioned but do it in the sink or in a bucket. submerge you locks and scrub your scalp. use a cup to get the bs mix of the parts of your scalp that you can't get under the water. soak for as long as you can handle, squeezing your dreads to make sure the bs gets deep inside each lock to clean them out then rinse, rinse, rinse. do a mild acv rinse (no soaking needed for this part) and then rinse again.

i've found the best result doing a soak versus just pouring it on. plus now that my dreads are more mature i like to be able to really squeeze them in the water to get them really clean.

Laura Nelson
@laura-nelson
11 years ago
16 posts

Thanks so much guys! I looked it up some on the web and heard about the soaking method so I am getting a bucket tomorrow (The sink leaks when it is full, haha) I have had my dreads about 2 years so way overdue for a deep-cleaning, though I have been cleaning them regularly with good residue-free shampoos. I'd have not even thought to deep-clean if I hadn't torn apart that monster and discovered the funk. D:

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sorry to hear about the funk. When showering, make sure that you rinse well, sometimes have a bath and float your hair in the tub for awhile, letting any residue work its way out.

Any smells may be from residue build up, or also from dreads being wet when going to sleep or wet underneath a tam / hat.

Laura Nelson
@laura-nelson
11 years ago
16 posts

I got a big bucket today! :D and all the other things needed.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form