Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Anna Molly
@anna-molly
11 years ago
19 posts

I'm Racheal. I joined last night to get more information on how I am going to start my dreads. At first I was going to get a dread perm, but that idea never sat well with me. I think after reading dreading methods I am probably going to go with the twist and rip method. I could use some advice on what kind of shampoo and oil I will need for maintenance. I haven't gotten that far in my reading the forums yet, but I wanted to take the time to introduce myself. I just turned 30. Happily married mother of two. I have always loved dreadlocks, but didn't think they would be an option for me until recently. I have thin hair, but I think I can make it work because I want to do skinny dreads. I love music, tattoos, movies, and being outside when it's warm. I kind of hibernate in the winter time. I like to blog about my life. I'm a pretty loyal person. I'm can be very generous and have been taken advantage of in the past because of it. I'm spiritual, but I don't believe in god so much as I believe in science, nature, and the universe. I hope to learn alot from the community here. :)

updated by @anna-molly: 01/13/15 09:46:15PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome sooo glad u avoided the dread perm!

tnr isnt a bad way to start they will turn out great

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Oh, you know what everyone's going to say here -- just leave your hair alone and let it do its thing. Welcome to the tangle of awesomeness that is dreadlockssite!

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Rachel, glad you found this great site for growing healthy dreads. There are many sites out there that want you to spend money on their products, It is not necessary to do this. Free form dreads are the most beautiful, free flowing and characteristic.

Tips that I know for beginners: Watch the video on this site to learn how to do twist & rip. Your arm will be tired, so do it over a few days if you don't have a friend to help. Don't do them tight, as this is only a starter method for separating the hair. The T&R need to loosen up in order to dread. Your dread will be the section size where it meets the scalp. The T&R will be skinnier, but fatten up as the dread shrinks into maturity. I do not know how long your hair is to start, but the longer the hair, the more shrinkage. Mine started at waist length and after 11 months, most are above my shoulder. Didn't see that coming!

It is recommended to first wash with the baking soda recipe found on this site. The reason for this is that it is a no rubbing wash system, so you will not be disturbing the beginning of the dreading process. 1/2 cup baking soda to 5 cups water works for just about all. For drying, I learned that using a micro fiber towel/Shamwow towel takes hours off my drying time, as I do not like to use blow dryers. (Use cool setting on blow dryer only if using)

Let your hair naturally separate for a couple of weeks before you twist & rip. Divide any sections thinner if wanted. Never larger than a 25cent coin, as they take longer to dry and will be heavier in the long run.

Dreads should not get stiff during the first few months, if they do, then you probably have a washing residue in the dreads. Use an anti residue shampoo on the dreads if this happens, but it should not be used more than 3 times a year, as it is strong, but works great. Dreads are a learning process.

Invest or make yourself a tam. The hair goes through very messy stages during the first year of the dreading process. Sometimes you will have the need to cover up the mess when you get groceries etc. Some days I did not care, other days I had the witch look, so I just covered them up.

Above all else, give yourself a 5 year view on what you want your dreads to look like. Have expectations that to get that look will take time. Don't give in to wax or anything else to falsely give the look of dreads sooner. With patience, patience and patience you will have beautiful dreads that will last a lifetime. Family and friends may give looks or comments during the first few months, brush it off with the knowledge that you will soon have amazing locks.

All the best to you, welcome

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Oh yes, and wash every 2-3 days the first few months. This speeds up the dreading process. Make sure to rinse well, let the water flow right off those dreads. :)

Anna Molly
@anna-molly
11 years ago
19 posts

Thank you so much for the information. I'm hoping to start the process this weekend. I'm having a really hard time finding a tam that I like. I also wanted to ask. I have hard water in my home. Is there anything I should do to prevent build up so my dreads don't start to smell like sulfur?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

www.dreadlockshampoo.com they are made fir hard water and smell devine

thebarrle ladty i think just earned a dread guru promotion!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form