Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 Weeks in... Opinions, Tips, Suggestions?

Skylar Redmon
@skylar-redmon
11 years ago
8 posts

I backcombed my dreads (no wax) and it's been about two weeks. I have some loops and I like how they look so far. I've been using the magic lock gel about every other day, but plan on slowing down to once a week now that I'm washing my hair. I also used a Lemon Juice+sea salt+water lock spray every couple of days, also plannin' on slowin' that down. I've been putting beads on my hair periodically to keep themseparated I wanted people's opinions on lock gel, beads, and salt water sprays. Do they hinder or speed up the process? I have a pic and it's two weeks in. ANY COMMENTS WILL BE APPRECIATED! NAMASTE!

updated by @skylar-redmon: 01/13/15 09:45:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no lemmon juice ever! sea salt will speed it up but can over dry but never ever with lemon juice added just sea salt

the gel will help but its not really for backcombed dreads its to help natural dreads start more easilty it can tame frizses a bit but its not needed and it sounds like yoir over using

sounds like u waited too lng to wash too

and

otherwise your fine but i havent looked at the pic yet..will now

ok did looks like u either:

a crochetted

b wayyyy over tightened when backcombing or

c used a hell of alot of gel

not sure wich they just look too far along for 3 weeks now you may think oh thats great but it might not be haha

u may dread slower cause they are so tight or u may have buildup already wich i dont klnow if its possible if your using the karma lock magic gel g=from dreadlockshampoo.com but if its any other gel it shure could..

if no crochet was used and its not gel overload then u backcombed severely tight wich altho makes it look good now wu=ill make it dread alot slower

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Skylar Redmon
@skylar-redmon
11 years ago
8 posts

I was plannin' on slowin down on the gel to about once a week, and i'll take the lemon juice out of my lock mix. I didn't crochet and don't really plan on it, sounds like too much work. I'm not sure if I backcombed too tight either it didn't hurt at all and they didn't stand up that much, but they did a little bit but by the next day they were laying flat. What would you suggest with the beads should I take them out or keep them in? I also wear them in a wool tam while at school or work, is that good? thanks man

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

the tams fine let em down when u can tho the beads are great

id do a cleanse just to be sure your not gerting buuildup

yea stay away from crochet!

maybe cause u didnt wash awhile it hasnt loosened myuch yet and thats why i dunno just looked too tofgether for 2 weeks but then we'll see what the next 2 weeks brings

--
Skylar Redmon
@skylar-redmon
11 years ago
8 posts

I used the karma gel but I might have been overdoing it will for sure. I just rinsed my hair and washed with some nag champa shampoo from that same website today, hopefully that got all the gel out. I figure my hair is going to start loosening up and looping, some of them are already doing that. I'll take a picture every week and we'll see how it goes. thanks for the advice, namaste!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

try gin without the gek[l for a week see how it goes i do think u probly were over using

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form