Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

scalp issues

lexlex :D
@lexlex-d
11 years ago
6 posts
hello fellow dreadheads!!well so far its only been two and a half months with this second set and i love them a lot already. but lately i have been debating on taking them out. i have been developing some very irritating scalp issues such as increased oilyness little bumps throughout my scalp and itchyness. it doesnt matter how often oi wash them or what i wash them with or just how thorough i am with the wash the bumls and itch still stay. ive down a avc rinse which helped for maybe a day and i use bronners which i highly dilute everytime i wash. i was washing every 3 days but someone told me thatwas excessive so i calmed it down to once a week. if anyone can give me advice on how to stop these issues from arriving so i can save my dreads it would be extremely appreciated because i really dont want to give up on them nor get rid of them.
updated by @lexlex-d: 01/13/15 09:45:28PM
Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

Every three days is not too exessive, in my opinion. I am only 3 or so months in and I have been washing every 2 or 3 days. Right at the 2 month mark my hair/scalp started undergoing some massive changes. Are you twisting or palm-rolling, or doing any kind of maintenence? (if you are....STOP) I wound up with small oily bumps like that, before I stopped twisting and started washing with BS/ACV treatment. Are you sure your ratios of BS and H20 are correct? I wish I had more answers for you..... Don't give up on your dreadies yet!!!! I am sure there is someone far more expirienced than me that can and will help you solve this tiny problem!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

every 3 days is just about oerfect whoever said its exxcessive doesnt know what they are talkimg about

now the bumps are u doing any root maintenance or anything

even palm rolling anu=ything that could pull on he roots

try the teatree rosemary bar from dreadlockshampoo.com and use it and nothing but it for a couple months see if things dont get better.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Some essential oils used sparingly, sparingly because too much oil at this stage would be counter productive, peppermint is really nice to relieve itchiness. I have been using apricot kernel oil as well, it is very good for scalp, and it is a very good carrier oil, because it penetrates the skin really well, so is jojoba, but apricot is much cheaper. Don't use much, oils are quite conditioning, but it can be good to relieve. I think what SE said, the dreadlockshampoo.com bars are probably your best long term solution. But if you can get the peppermint oil right away it will sooth your itchies while you wait for the shampoo. This has worked for me, I have a little flaky scalp, nothing really, but zero itchies. I think with dreads, our scalps take a little while to adjust to the lack of stimulation because we cant touch it as easily, like with a brush or whatever.

The way I put the oils on is at the end of the shower, I put some drops of oil in bucket or whatever, maybe ten drops peppermint, and some apricot kernel oil, like a teaspoon or something like that, mix with maybe two litres of water and pour it on, I don't rinse it off I leave it on. Just observe how much the oils condition and adjust it. Everyones scalp and hair is different so you need to adjust everything to your own needs.

peace and blessings, I hope your scalp gets better, I am sure it will.

lexlex :D
@lexlex-d
11 years ago
6 posts
Thank you everyone for your advice c: I appreciate everyone's piece of information and will be sure to keep trying until I find something that works because I really don't want to take them out. I'm already attached to them and feel they represent a part of me already and no I stopped doing maintanace the first week because I foumd out from you guys how damaging it was so no worries I am not creating any damage! I want beautiful natural dreds that have character of their own. But I do pull any strands of hair that might have interlocked with other dreds so my dreds don't congo but i try to be as gentle as possible with the process so I dont break any hairs or hurt my scalp but I think it may be hurting my scalp, but its a needed thing because otherwise my whole head would congo lol. But I will take the advice for right now on the peppermint dreadsoap and keep everyone updated! Thanks you guys c: I really appreacite the help
Cole Morton
@cole-morton
11 years ago
109 posts

good luck to you!!!

April Brown
@april-brown
11 years ago
49 posts

I know exactly how you feel, I'm only one month in my dreads and my scalp has done the same thing. I understand that it is adjusting to the new routine of little to no physical stimulation and chemical products. It was so bad a couple weeks ago I got super frusturated. For me personaly.. I'm kinda financially deprived lol with 5 kids..so i can't spend a lot on special soaps.. so I use about 2 tbls baking soda in a normal shampoo bottle with water and about 4-5 drops tea tree essential oilthen rinse with about 3/4 cup of ACV and cool water with about 5 drops peppermint essential oil and I leave it in for a few minutes, then rinse a lot with cool water. sometimes I put like a pea size amount of Dr Bronners in my BS mix but not much. And last week I made a rinse that helped my scalp. I boiled dried sage and dried rosemary from the grocery store, and let them steap for like 30 minutes and then put in fridge. I added it to my acv rinse and it was heaven!! I also get my oils from a local place that is comparable to Doterra in therapuatic grade and a lot cheaper. My friend is a mom that sells out of her home.. I promise I'm not trying to promote specific products.. you can get oils everywhere.. these are just what I have found works great. https://www.facebook.com/ButterflyExpressOils?fref=ts

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form