Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Free form first time dreading, need advice with mixed hair?

Bryan Avery
@bryan-avery
11 years ago
4 posts

So I have mixed hair (black/white) and Ive been free forming now for about 3 months and I can definitely see the progress. my hair is very curly and its just a bunch of coils as you can see in my pictures. Anyways the point is, up until last week I was using a Yes To Carrots shampoo which I think was very good for my hair texture, good in this case meaning bad because my hair is still very nice in my opinion despite neglecting it for 3 months. My question is is my hair too nice right now to dread on its own or am I paranoid? To describe my hairs activity as best as possible, it has taken my curls' natural patterns and sectioned itself nicely and most of the curls/coils themselves have begun to twist and tangle inside themselves. To me it feels as though they are dreading but Im far from an expert on the subject. The bases of the curls are turning like hard but at the same time its not exactly at the root, feels like the start of the dreading process to me but I just want a good opinion from someone knowledgeable on the topic. I switched to cheap bar soap and it feels like it works better at like drying my hair out when I get out of the shower, but by time I sleep on it I cant really tell a difference in my hair texture. I wash my hair about 2-3 times a week with bar soap depending and I wash it daily with just water and I always let it air dry. Help plz? My minds full of questions and Ive no one to answer them!

updated by @bryan-avery: 01/13/15 09:45:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i6t sounds kike its dreading but u should not use regular bar soap when u take a bath..not shower withoit washing the tub for a week u see that ring odf soap scum? thats in your hhair making it gunky and gross plus hand sp]oaps are conditioning (dove is 3/4 moisturizers remember?)

a dread soap will make a huge diference either www.dreadlockshampoo.com (probly best for your hair type) or the baking soda recipe

i bet u see more progressin 3 weeks after switching then u hasve in 3 months

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bryan Avery
@bryan-avery
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks SE youre probably right, Im gonna take ur advice and go to the baking soda recipe. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that

Bryan Avery
@bryan-avery
11 years ago
4 posts

Hey Soaring Eagle one more question.. is the baking soda and water ok to use by itself to wash my hair or are the oils necessary to balance the ph levels? I dont have any of the oils you mentioned handy only lemon juice and I wanna wash my head asap. thanks in advance

soaring eagle said:

i6t sounds kike its dreading but u should not use regular bar soap when u take a bath..not shower withoit washing the tub for a week u see that ring odf soap scum? thats in your hhair making it gunky and gross plus hand sp]oaps are conditioning (dove is 3/4 moisturizers remember?)

a dread soap will make a huge diference either www.dreadlockshampoo.com (probly best for your hair type) or the baking soda recipe

i bet u see more progressin 3 weeks after switching then u hasve in 3 months

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dont use lemon juice the oils are medicinal sop optional the acv tho is to ballance ph

u can do 1/2 a cup bs to 5 cupds water

pour on

soak 10 min then rinse

after rinsing the bs out mix 1-2 spoonfulls acvf v in 5 cups water pour on then rinse

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bryan Avery
@bryan-avery
11 years ago
4 posts

awesome dude, saved me hours of searching the forums

soaring eagle said:

dont use lemon juice the oils are medicinal sop optional the acv tho is to ballance ph

u can do 1/2 a cup bs to 5 cupds water

pour on

soak 10 min then rinse

after rinsing the bs out mix 1-2 spoonfulls acvf v in 5 cups water pour on then rinse

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form