Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread splitting help

Kim3
@kim3
11 years ago
4 posts
I have 2 dreads that are sectioned far too large, they are gonna be too big if i don't somehow make them into smaller dreads. I am almost 3 months into having dreads...and i'm not liking the idea of starting over with these 2 dreads. My question is...would it be ok to rip them in half...no cutting would be used. I'm not sure if it's even possible, as my hair locked up fairly easy...but Id like to give it try...help plz. Thanks!
updated by @kim3: 01/13/15 09:45:07PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I separated a mature dread on top of my head a few years ago. The dread was at least 2 years old. It was a painful process. The result was not perfect. Of the 2 sides..one came out thicker at the top and thinner at the bottom, the other is thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom and twice as long. In retrospect i wish that I had combed the dread completely out and started over and just kept it in 2 sections.

If you are going to separate..start at the root and go down. But my advice is....they are only 3 months old...comb the 2 dreads out and start over.

Lull
@lull
11 years ago
8 posts

I had the same problem. Too large sections which pulled painfully on my scalp and created dreadlocks that were very stiff due to the coarseness of my hair.

I noticed one day that there was a gap at the base of one of my dreads. In other words, my hair was actually trying to separate itself out! So I decided to help it along a bit by tearing along the length of the dread. It took a lot of strength, but it worked a treat.

If like mine, you have backcombed or crochetted at any point, you will find that there are 'blockages' that stop you tearing the dread into two sections all the way down. You may need to make judicious and cautious use of scissors for small sections - but be VERY CAREFUL. Dont poke your eye out of course! Also if you cut in the wrong direction slightly, or too far - you may lose a lot of length off one or both newly formed dreads.

I proceeded to subdivide each of mine into two or even three separate dreads. They look and feel SO much better. They actually move properly rather than looking like stiff sticks, and they don't give me headaches any more.

To be honest, nature knows best - I wish I could have allowed my hair to choose its own sections, but I have my reasons, and I got to a point I am happy with in the end. :)

So in summary - in my experience you can rip them along the length. They will feel a bit messy/loose/flat at first, but they very quickly tighten up again. Don't try to cut along the length since you won't be following natural 'faultlines' within the dread and will cut across the hairs making them very weak. Only use scissors if you absolutely must. Do one a day, and come back to it if your arms get tired (rather than hacking at them with scissors). You may also get friction burns on your hands if you try to do too many in one go.

Hope that helps!

Kim3
@kim3
11 years ago
4 posts
Thank you so much! That's support helpful.
Kim3
@kim3
11 years ago
4 posts
Super* darn autocorrect, lol.
Lull
@lull
11 years ago
8 posts

Just had a couple more thoughts:

I think my dreads were a bit older than yours when I ripped them (maybe just under a year) - I'm not sure if that would make much difference.

Try it with one in a hidden area and see how it goes.

The other great side effect of subdividing is that you get rid of any 'grid' pattern on your scalp. The 'grid' is seen by some (probably no one on here) as a sign of neatness, and is also believed to be the way to get round dreads rather than flat. This is nonsense, and in my opinion, it just exposes too much scalp and looks a little bizarre (squares on a somewhat irregularly sperical object?! There is no harmony created there!)

Anyway, I had more flat dreads with square sections than I do now I have random triangles and circles all over, since previously the hair was being forced into positions it didn't want to be.

Anyway, good luck.

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
About two months in I combed out a large dread on the side of my head and redid twist and rip on them. I made 3 out of the 1. They still matured at the same rate as the rest of my hair. Now at 13 months, I split one last week on the other side by using only one side of scissors/ripping. Like Taye, mine didn't come out perfect either. There isn't as much control. I agree with her to comb out & resection the too big areas that way. In the scheme of things, it won't set you back a ton. :) you should post pics of whichever you decide to do!
Kim3
@kim3
11 years ago
4 posts

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I love this site, so helpful :]

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form