dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hello everyone

dubmah
@dubmah
11 years ago
3 posts

hi everyone,

I wanted to say an official hi to all the folks out there so I decided to right an auto-biography book for you but after a paragraph, I decided I should drop the idea. :P so here it is . I introduce myself as it. french canadian from the montreal area, about an hour from it, living on a bicentenary plantation house that I renovate during weekends I also listening / playing music(I love old jamaican music since I am 11-12, like ska, rocksteady, dancehall roots, reggae and dub)I'm skateboarding for about 20years maybe more, making videogames for living.. and a super happy new father of a young 2month old boy! :) so here is my dready adventure so far..

Couple years ago, I got dreads for couple months, they were getting great but the smell was awful and juicy...so I cut em.. till then, I regretted my move but I was not aware of the residue mess and I was using generic shampoo. so I grew my hair again. telling myself this time, longer, cleaner! I knew still few things about locks but I knew I didn't wanted to go wax mode,again, putting tons of crap in it and try to stay as natural as possible.. I though crochet was a cleaner and better way than my other attempts (which was twist and rip... better than crochet IMO..) at first, they looked great (even though I felt they were damn thing for the crazy amount of hair I had..) but pretty quickly, I found out they were hard to maintain. So I probably crocheted em during 7-10hrs 3-4times during the past 4-5months, getting sick of it, before I find this website while searching a better way to get rid of the insane frizzyness... after all the infos I gathered here I finally decided to let my dreads do what they had to do and stop trying to freaking about the frizzy, the loose hairs breif, controlling them ( I am pretty sure its part of the psychological process of having dreads:P learn to live with your new friends and accept em how they are hehe). the more the weeks pass on, the more I like em but unfortunately, crochet left marks I am scared it'll stay... anyhow! frizzyness is going away, (or I dont see em as much as before since I decided to accept it), new locks seems to start forming already but I still feel sad when read they should have been double the thickness they are.. will it correct overtime? I hope!

anyway, I am happy to have found this place and hello everyone!!

updated by @dubmah: 01/13/15 09:44:19PM
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

Welcome to the site. Yes when you stopcrocheting your dreads will start to loosen up a bit and will allow your dreads to become a bit fatter over time.It is going to take a while. The rule of thumb is that your dread will become as thick as it's section. But that really depends on how thick your hair is. My hair is thin and fine so mine will never be as thick as the section. Happy dreading :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well welcome. I am glad you found great information on this site like I did. Crochet hooks are evil to dreads as you now know, the damage will take time to correct, the broken hairs will eventually be swallowed into the dread. As Taye stated, your dreads will be the thickness of the section at the scalp once they are mature, perhaps the two year mark. They look cool with all different thicknesses on the head, so don't worry. Your house sounds wonderful, I bet it has a lot of character!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome sounds like youve been through alotta mistakes but are on the right track now they will thicken if u let them use aloe and/or jojoba to condition them rpretty well so they loosen and can dread right once they are softer leave em be they will take awhile but will reover

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dubmah
@dubmah
11 years ago
3 posts

th everyone for the warm welcome, I already started to use aloes but I am trying not to abuse of it :) so far, eveything you say seems to happen so I am really happy to have found this huge source of infos!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form