Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New kid on the block

Erica Marie
@erica-marie
11 years ago
3 posts
Hey all- just introducing myself. I've been perusing this sight for couple of months, finally got a chance to join up! Started my dreads about 3 months ago using T n R and back combing. Not sure if I regret the T n R yet. I feel like its given me a TON of loops, but I definitely think its the reason they haven't loosened up as much as I thought they would. I have super straight, silky hair so I wasn't sure how well they were gonna hold up but so far so good. Going to try and attach some pics but I may not be that talented so no promises. My biggest fear was that I was going to scare the crap out of my kids, but my son (2) is loving them. He jumps on my back grabs ahold and starts yelling ""giddy up horsey!" And my daughter (1) just cracks up when I shake my head at her, so all's well on that front. I've been using Dr Bronners peppermint but I think it smells like hand soap. I just got the almond scent and I thinking going to like it much better. I do a lot of palm rolling. I definitely have a ton of loose hairs but its pretty early on. They're shrinking up a bit, which is good- but my hair had some layers and angles in it before I started so theyre becoming quite uneven and I have some shorties that tend to stick out like medusa right near the front. I know it's considered cheating but I'm thinking of throwing a few extensions in to even some of them out. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? In a perfect world patience would be the answer but I've been a stay at home mom for two years and I need to start working again this summer. I feel like it will open more doors if I even them up so I look more "put together" at least for interviews and what not. Also bleaching them soon if anyone has any tips or tricks on that subject! Thanks!!
updated by @erica-marie: 01/13/15 09:43:23PM
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
I would suggest you don't palm roll. When it comes to dreads, especially newbs, less is more! You don't want to cause damage or weaken them. Welcome and happy dreading :)
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
T n R almost always falls out. Backcombing doesn't, that's why they haven't fallen out yet (I back combed as well). Loops are perfect and what they should be doing. Palm rolling, if done excessively will pull hair from the scalp and break hairs off, causing weak spots. If done minimally, it does nothing at all. It may flatten the loose hair down a bit, but it'll just fluff right back up. It doesn't help create knots or anything. It does make your arms tired and sore tho!Now, this is just my personal opinion but I live the look of layered uneven dreads. To me it adds more depth and texture and body. Adding extensions would damage the ends of those short dreads, they're usually crocheted in right? Plus you probably wouldn't love those as much as your real dreads.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stop palm rolling! they arent suposed to be even you can waste money putting in extentions then 2 weeks later theyare uneven again

palm rollings not helpful but doing it alot can be very harmful

bronners is ok if yoir waters ok ..soft..in hard water its horible

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

mons just the oposite backcomb falls out way more often then tnr

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
Oh, my mistake. I've heard of a lot more TnR falling out than backcombed. Mine didn't fall out at all, but the one section I TnR'ed unravelled completely.
Erica Marie
@erica-marie
11 years ago
3 posts
Wow! I didn't realize palm rolling was a bad thing! The thing is I'd rather they be "tidy" eventually, I'm not going for the "neglect" look, if I don't palm roll what SHOULD I be doing to make sure they don't take on a mind of their own? Personal preference I'm just going for a more maintained look I guess. I don't expect it to happen overnight obviously- any suggestions on upkeep?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form