Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how to prepare your hair for putting dreads in?

jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

My missus wants me to put a couple of dreads in her air, planning on doing tnr. Should she wash her hair as normal or should she shampoo only? Also with tnr do you just do it once then leave it alone completley to

do its own thing? Or should i do something to them reguarly?

updated by @jamie-nichols: 01/13/15 09:43:13PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Nothing at all. Just wash. When you wash, wash only the scalp. Pretty much forget the hair. As you rinse, it will rinse through the hair, cleaning it. There are very few reasons to actually scrub each lock.

They will come untangled, but that's ok. Don't redo them. Redoing them will only reset the process and they will just come untangled again after every time it's redone.

jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

nice one bruv.i am also in the process of taking my shitty loctition dreads out u should see the damage she done to my hair will have to give it a few weeks b4 i start again. the plan is to tnr 40ish dreads into my hair rather than the 100+ skinny ones i had. im thinkin that the best thing to do is tnr just the once and then totaly leave them alone and let nature take its course. would you agree that this is the best plan of action. your advice will be greatly appreciated.

peace bruv

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
With your lady's hair, you could put a bead with a wrap under to kind of secure the TnR. I did that with one small section and it worked like a charm. It didn't come untangled and is a happy little dread now. I only suggest this because you're only doing a few on her. Doing that will help them stay knotted and not get lost with all her regular hair.For you tho, TnR then leave it alone. It will come unravelled and you want that. Most likely the sections will remain (which is good), then it'll start to reknot. That's when the funky fun begins!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wash with a dread shampoo only and yea u onlu=y tnr 1 time then leave em alone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

nice one mons, thats exactly the sort of advice ive been looking for your a star. definatly gonna do both our hair the way you said. doing a bit of research on sectioning at the minute i know people say let them section themselves out naturaly but i think i want them to look quite uniform, natural but uniform. im thinkin of one inch sections i know this is as large as you should go but my hair is so straight and fine that im thinkin they will have to be this size for me to get any sort of thickness to them. wot do you think bruv ?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

nah a range from 1/2 to 3/4 is plenty thick enough

a dimes thick enough a nickles thicker a quarters the biggest u want

why do tthey need to be thick anyway

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

hiya SE no im not looking for really thick dreads not at all,its just when that loctiion did my hair the sections were on average 1/2 inch some smaller and my so called dreads were like bits of string. not sure if this was because ofthe way she did it or due to my super thin hair, so was thinkin a 1 inch section would give me personally a medium thick dread. interested to know wot yoy think SE.

peace my bruva

jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

Here are a couple of pics of when i first had them secyioned and waxed so you can see the size of the sections she done and how thin they are

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Wow, she ruined them with the wax. The amount of wax she used is part of why they look so thin. Your hair will never lock if they are coated like that. Wax completely prevents locking. Any amount of wax.

Those section sizes look fine. A bit too uniform. But if that's what you like, it's what you like. But you should never be able to see your scalp like that in between each section. That's extremely unhealthy for locks.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form