Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Did I Mess up?

meghan trama
@meghan-trama
11 years ago
2 posts

I dreaded my hair 3 weeks ago and i only used rubber bands on the top to section them. On the bottom i just grabbed the hair and started to T&R The dreads on the bottom are very spaced out . I was left with 28 dreads

and I had pretty thin hair so it looks like i barely have any dreads.

Do you guys have any advice or went through the same thing in thebeginningof your journey?

Thanks for any advice and encouragement.

Much Love!!

updated by @meghan-trama: 01/13/15 09:43:11PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

First, the bands are constricting your hair. They squeeze your locks too tightly and prevent them from maturing. They can also get sucked into your locks where they dry rot and cause mold. They create weak spots and thin out your roots.

That said, 28 isn't a bad number. A little less than average, but that is ok. How big are your sections, about? Anything bigger than the size of a quarter will leave MASSIVE locks. Anywhere between pencil and nickle sized sections is mostpreferred. Mature locks take on the size of the section. They won't always taper off and be as thin as they are now.

Locks tend to look much thinner at first. As they mature and untangle and retangle and untangle and retangle, they thicken up.

meghan trama
@meghan-trama
11 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for your reply,

some sections are pretty big, my biggest is maybe an inch and a half. and I have small

ones also. I wanted each one to be unique anddifferentin size, not to dramatic though.

What is the best thing to do if i dont want to have a reeeaaalllyyy fat dread? should i try to comb it out?

Thanks!

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
You can comb out the super fat ones and redo with smaller sections. Or you can rip them apart. Whichever is easiest for you.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form