Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thinking of taking my dreads out and starting over....Where do i start??

jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

Have already talked about the nightmare i have had with a loctition putting wax in and interlocking them. To be honest i wasn't really happy with how thin they all were, my hair is VERY fine anyway and just had my missus count them and there is over 100 alltogether. When the women sectioned them they were definatrly not an inch wide. No wonder they look like bits of string.

I have looked at loads of photos on here and can't find anyone who has dreads as thin as these. I can't help thinking that i just won't be happy with them even when theyhave matured becasue i can't see them thickening up that much.

I am thinking of taking them all out and starting again,and maybe doubleingeach sectionup. Do you think i should just stick it out and maybe congo a few together and hope they get a bit thicker or do you think i should take them all out and start from scratch? At least if i did start over i wouldn't be wasting any more money on these bullshit "loctitions".

updated by @jamie-nichols: 01/13/15 09:43:07PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

I'm not going to advise one way or the other. If you want to take them out, condition them very well and brush gently from the tips. Be as gentle as you can and spend a good bit of time taking them out, so as not to break many hairs.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u can congo them theyd only combine at tyhe roots however youd have 50 roots wich will be medium thick to slightly thin with 100 very thin ends

the wax wont be hard to get out of such thin dreads fortunately

but the interlocking will

if u choose to srart ob=ver soakin conditi0ner or olive oil comb out carefully with a soft brush 9if it works) or comb when u reach the interlock o]point u might want to try a knotting needle or fork to try to carefulty work that loose

then i would go natural or at least allow natural sections then tnr but i think u would be happiest with going natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
If you're that upset and unhappy with them, start over. BUT like SE said, getting the wax out shouldn't be too hard with them being so thin. Then combine them so they grow thicker. You could try taking a biotin supplement to encourage growth, so you don't have to deal with snake tongue dreads for years (unless you want them).Do what will make you the most happy in the long run.
Hillmom (Wendy)
@hillmom-wendy
11 years ago
12 posts
No advice, as I'm a noob. Just support for what ever you choose!
jamie nichols
@jamie-nichols
11 years ago
13 posts

hiya bruv if i did decide to congo them so i had 50 medium thick dreads what do i need to do to get them to combine at the roots.

thanks for all your help.

soaring eagle said:

u can congo them theyd only combine at tyhe roots however youd have 50 roots wich will be medium thick to slightly thin with 100 very thin ends

the wax wont be hard to get out of such thin dreads fortunately

but the interlocking will

if u choose to srart ob=ver soakin conditi0ner or olive oil comb out carefully with a soft brush 9if it works) or comb when u reach the interlock o]point u might want to try a knotting needle or fork to try to carefulty work that loose

then i would go natural or at least allow natural sections then tnr but i think u would be happiest with going natural

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

If you want to start over, comb them out very gently, slowly and with a lot of conditioner. It took me a LOT of time...and pain...to comb out just a couple of my dreads. They were very thick though, so wouldn't be too bad for you.

If you want to stick it out, let them congo by simply not separating. Once they start to congo, tie some string (not tightly) or put a bead around the two that are congoing, and they'll start to join the rest of the length of the dread. One of my dreads is a congo, it was accidental, I have no idea they were there. Over time they tangled together. For a long time you could feel that they were separate dreads, but they were joined by some tangled loose hair in-between. Now, it feels basically like one dread.

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

I know I'm a noob when it comes to dreads but I just wanna tell you that I have seen photos of beautiful people who has really thin dreads and they look as great as what we call average size dreads. However, the decision is yours to make. I think that you don't really need loctitions/loctians (idk what they are really called sorry about that x) ) I mean like, if you wanna start all over again find which method totally works for you and I agree with SE that natural is one of the best methods to dreads if you want unique and healthy dreads. But in the end of the day, again it's all up to you and I wish you best on your decision :D Happy Dreading!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form