dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Best Decison I've Made

Sarah Walker
@sarah-walker
12 years ago
5 posts

Hello! My name is Sarah, but you can call me MoonHoop or Bambi(:

My dreads are currently just over three weeks old, and I couldn't be happier. I've always been a huge fan of dreadlocks, but have always been afraid to dread my own hair. I've had a couple sets of dreadfalls (synthetic dreads that you tie onto pigtails) and I always liked the way they looked on me. I was always afraid real dreads would look weird, or that my parents wouldn't support my decision, etc etc etc. Well, I finally took the plunge, and I'm very happy with my results so far.

I originally just grabbed hair and used the t'n'r method. The sectioning was horrid, so I combed them out and resectioned. Ever since, my sectioning has been great (could still use some work, but I don't want to comb them out again) and my baby dreads have been progressing quite nicely.

I separate them every day. Before I started this, the back of my head was a huge knotted mess, and it took me forever to separate. Because of that, I have a ton of loose hair, but I know eventually it will fix itself. I occasionally crochet them, but I'm trying not to if I can help it, just because I know of the risks involved.

I wash my hair every three days, and I have a very dry scalp still. I use Nature's Own (I think) aloe vera shampoo, and a sea salt spray afterward. I need to get a peppermint and rosemary shampoo and/or oils to help with my scalp.

So far, that's my dread journey in terms of the hair itself. Now on to how dreading my hair has helped me as a person. I am an incredibly impatient person, so I want results "now". Unfortunately, with dreads, that's not how it works. Dreading my hair has helped me be more patient, as well as stick with something, because I am also the type of person that dives head first into something, then ditches it when I get bored or whatever. Dreading my hair has helped with that. For some reason, I'm more motivated and healthier ever since I started. And it's probably the combination of dreading my hair and me picking up hoop dance that has caused these revelations. I couldn't be more thankful for all of the websites, including this one, that have shown me that even though they look like a crazy mess, dreads will look good over time. I'll be sure to post a picture of my dreads later on. Namaste!

updated by @sarah-walker: 01/13/15 09:40:58PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Ah... I fear you have fallen into the "perfect section" trap. Healthy dreads do not have perfect squares, or anything like it. It leaves them sitting in unnatural positions on your head. You probably crocheted because the dreads were falling out, which is what they are meant to do. If they completely fall out, you should have just let them be. I'm sorry to say but I think, since you are only a few weeks in, that you should comb this lot out and start again.

As for using the sea salt after your wash, this is wrong. Use it before the wash and then rinse it out. Otherwise, you can be left with an irritated scalp, which you have already indicated you have. Secondly, make sure that the shampoo you are using is residue free, as this will dramatically hinder progress.

Never. ever, ever, ever crochet again.

Sarah Walker
@sarah-walker
12 years ago
5 posts
Thank you for the advice. As far as I can tell, my shampoo is residue free but I plan to switch over to Dr bronner. And I by no means want perfect sections, just more even sections. When I started, I only had like twelve dreads, now I have closer to 35. How long should I leave the salt spray in before I wash it out? Also, I really don't want to brush them out, because I already spent so much time doing that for several days in a row. Do you think they would fix themselves if I just leave them be? I've only done it like two times, and not very much. Are they still salvageable without having to start completely over??
Sarah Walker
@sarah-walker
12 years ago
5 posts
When I say I only did it two times, I mean crochet hooking. I will drop the hook. I just want to know if I can just stop palm rolling and stop crochet hooking that they will be okay.
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Oh, they will repair themselves if left alone.

The sea spray should be 10-20 mins before you wash.

Stop the palm rolling and crochet. This is the best thing you can do for your hair.

Dont want to brush them out? Then don't! They will recover and mature over time. No worries. Just wash regularly, separate and nothing else.

Sarah Walker
@sarah-walker
12 years ago
5 posts
Thanks so much. You saved my dreads before they got too bad!
Sarah Walker
@sarah-walker
12 years ago
5 posts
Will the loose hairs that I get from separating them eventually just be eaten by the dread its "supposed" to go into, or is there a better way that is healthy to coax it in?
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

No, let them do what they want. They will find their own way. Separate regularly. It will be less necessary as the dreadmatures.

And, no worries. We're all here to help.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form