Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Start of natural dreads

Duncan Dodsworth
@duncan-dodsworth
12 years ago
8 posts

Hi, I'm Duncan. I guess I'd been looking up dreads for about a year or so, not really sure what the reason was to begin with but seeing all the reasons people have for having dreads is inspiring/fascinating. I think one of the main reasons I decided to start dreading is because my hair just gets really tangled and it's so much effort to comb all the knots out, which I always found weird cause my hairs pretty shiny and straight yet is constantly tangled.

I twist and ripped a few months ago and combed them out after about a month cause they felt unnatural and 'goofy', can't really explain it. Although I hate to admit it, I think it was also because some guy I saw in a bar basically harrassed me saying that why am I trying to be Black and if I wanted proper dreads as a white person I had to crochet and I kept trying to tell him that he was wrong, but I guess it kinda shook my confidence as much as I pretended that I was gona comb them out anyway.

Then I stopped brushing/combing for a short period of time then combed them out again after I went to a rock concert with a good friend, who has really long undreaded hair and I just felt a bit off with my hair that was starting to dread. But then I thought how ridiculous it is that I can be completely myself in other ways but whenever someone appears to oppose me not combing my hair I seem to give up on the whole thing and go back to 'normal' hair. So I have said to myself no more.I haven't combed or brushed in 2 weeks and my hair has changed already which has surprised me.

this is my hair after a week, and it looks pretty much the same except a bit of separation seems to be going on.

hair after 2 weeks approx:

hair looks more separated here and lighter which is weird lol

Apologies for weird staring at hair face I'm doing in this photo. seems tobe dreading more at the direct front of my hair which is really weird to me. Having to separate the front while the rest is trying to catch up. this is also 2 weeks along

After all the rambling, I guess the summary would be that I'm hypothetically comfortable with what my hair is trying to do, and I'm trying my best to become comfortable with it in reality.

updated by @duncan-dodsworth: 02/14/15 07:50:06AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its progressi g fast and next time u talk to an idiot in a bar (who else spends time in bars but idiots) you will have proof you dont need to crochet to have awesome dreads theyare progressing real fast

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Duncan Dodsworth
@duncan-dodsworth
12 years ago
8 posts

thanks for the comment, i know it sounds stupid that i would pay attention to what someone in a bar said buti guess i did in the back of my mind although what someone says can be not in keeping with what you feel you should be doing in the moment it can really affect you, or me, im working against it though

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
I dont listen to anyone in a bar when im at one. Most ppl drink to much and just looking to start a fight for whatever reason. Had a girl tell me there are better, faster, easier ways to dread and i told her that they are also all so damaging and what could be easier than doing nothing other than just washing?!!! I said dreads dont form over night or by someone in a salon, friend whatever and then she starts getting pissy like she was the queen of dreads when she didnt even have dreads! She said she went to school to become a stylist and learned everything about dreads and that they need to be waxed and i replied that shit is so fn nasty! I even admitted to her that i fell victim to the crap 4 other times which resulted om me cutting them off anywhere from 2mths to a yr and this time is wax free! She said it wont dread without wax and i said i have no problem with my hair dreading without it. This was about a mth or 2 ago and havent seen her since.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Just remember, it's your hair, do with it as you please. As for the asshat that said the only way a white guy can dread is to crochet, screw him! He's absolutely clueless. And maybe a bit jealous that you have the balls to do something he's too afraid and misinformed to try. You're making amazing progress, let it happen! Try to let the crap others say roll off your back. In the end you'll be the one rocking killer dreads while they'll just be douches.
Duncan Dodsworth
@duncan-dodsworth
12 years ago
8 posts

yeah i guess, he did say that he tried to get dreads and it didnt work for him so i need crochet but i was just like i feel sorry for you cause you dont need that, basically this was a selfish thread cause i posted when i was drunk which is bad cause im trying to stop doing that but what ive learnt is that people on dreadlockssite are really kind im not ashamed to learn that even if i was drunk so silver lining

Meijka
@meijka
12 years ago
23 posts

If you ask me, salons, crochets, wax all seem to defeat the purpose. I get comments on my hair ALL the time. Maybe it's your turn to have them understand why and how your doing this with your hair. I'm sure that all they need is a different perspective. Maybe look up some reasons why others have dreads and it would awaken your reasons for them, and also help you explain it to others. Good luck on the rest of your journey.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its a safe place here and if u need support to quit drinkin u got it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
What SE said! You'll get support for anything life throws at you here. Literally.
Duncan Dodsworth
@duncan-dodsworth
12 years ago
8 posts

that's so nice, like i feel like (talking drunk here but enough about that) i mean i'm from the UK, and peope in the UK are always like oh rising education fees but we don't pay near as much as people in the US do! for tuition fees, i duno if i have a drinking prob;em but i think i do, people associate drinking problems with alcoholics who drink all day everyday but isnt it as much of a problem if whenever you drink you HAVE to drink loads? I can't ever drink a small amount I always think screw it I might s well drunk loads nad I have been off th drink for about a month now and been feeling so much more energy etc and now I've started drinking again today it kind of reminds me what I've been fighting for so long. I remember this feeling but it is not how I want to feel for the rest of my life and I do not want to feel like it anymore... I'm only 18 it sounds like I'v been drinking for years lol.. only a few but I'm gona become more peaceful and aware of myself.. I am gona be ashamed at this post later but maybe I won't, if I stick to it.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form