Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Newbee whos needs guidance!

Kelly O
@kelly-o
12 years ago
3 posts

goodluck on the journey....I have thin straight shoulder length hair and im 2 weeks in. Take it easy with the sea salt spray because it can really dry out your hair.....i have a really low salt to water ratio and it does seem to really help with the sectioning. You may also want to make sure you avoid your scalp with the sea salt...because it can dry it out. Some people can drench their hair in the stuff and never have issues but some peoples hair and skin cant handle it.

updated by @kelly-o: 07/13/15 12:08:06PM
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
12 years ago
233 posts

Yeah, be especially careful with the baking soda -- I used a bit too much the other day and my hair started to...unravel? Grr. X_x Haha. I just use the sea salt spray and am good to go afterward, no rinsing. It works for me, but I guess it can be drying for some people (judging by what everyone else is saying). Hm...meh, not really a hat fan. It shouldn't throw off the knotting process too badly, though. I actually put my hair in a tight ponytail with like, 567 pins before running every day and it hasn't complicated things at all!

Mario Grech said:

HI Laura Earle!

Thanksso much for your reply and the advice. i do plan on doing theBS/ACV wash and the salt spray. I will try your recipe first and tweak as necessary. I hear you cant use too much.Do you let your salt spray drya bit before washing it out, or do you rinse it pretty immediately?

Good luck on yourjourney,I will be startig this weekend.

Oh by the way, do you wear any hats or head covers during the day atall? I am wondering if that willmess with the locking at all?

Laura Earle said:

Welcome to the journey! Okay, so I probably( have the exact opposite hair type (thick, wavy, and generally pretty crazy), but I would think that short, fine hair would have to be super-duper-squeaky-clean in order to knot? Maybe wash with BS/ACV every other day? Also, sea salt! Awesome stuff. Really helps with the knotting. Whenever I wash my hair, I follow up the wash with a sea salt rinse -- I just mix 2 tbsp sea salt with three cups of warm water and pour it over my head before getting out of the shower. On days I don't wash my hair, I touch it up in the morning with a spray bottle filled with 1 tbsp sea salt and 8 oz water. I know that's a lot of salt compared to most other people's recipes here, but it seems to be working fine for me. ^_^

Mario Grech
@mario-grech
12 years ago
10 posts

Good to know! I will follow the recipe suggested on this site and see how that works out, I am sure like most things it will need to be tweaked to meet my own personal needs.

I like the way your hair looks by the way, how long have you been at it?

Laura Earle said:

Yeah, be especially careful with the baking soda -- I used a bit too much the other day and my hair started to...unravel? Grr. X_x Haha. I just use the sea salt spray and am good to go afterward, no rinsing. It works for me, but I guess it can be drying for some people (judging by what everyone else is saying). Hm...meh, not really a hat fan. It shouldn't throw off the knotting process too badly, though. I actually put my hair in a tight ponytail with like, 567 pins before running every day and it hasn't complicated things at all!

Mario Grech said:

HI Laura Earle!

Thanksso much for your reply and the advice. i do plan on doing theBS/ACV wash and the salt spray. I will try your recipe first and tweak as necessary. I hear you cant use too much.Do you let your salt spray drya bit before washing it out, or do you rinse it pretty immediately?

Oh by the way, do you wear any hats or head covers during the day atall? I am wondering if that willmess with the locking at all?

Laura Earle said:

Welcome to the journey! Okay, so I probably( have the exact opposite hair type (thick, wavy, and generally pretty crazy), but I would think that short, fine hair would have to be super-duper-squeaky-clean in order to knot? Maybe wash with BS/ACV every other day? Also, sea salt! Awesome stuff. Really helps with the knotting. Whenever I wash my hair, I follow up the wash with a sea salt rinse -- I just mix 2 tbsp sea salt with three cups of warm water and pour it over my head before getting out of the shower. On days I don't wash my hair, I touch it up in the morning with a spray bottle filled with 1 tbsp sea salt and 8 oz water. I know that's a lot of salt compared to most other people's recipes here, but it seems to be working fine for me. ^_^

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
12 years ago
233 posts

Thanks! Just over three months. Apparently 3 was the magic number for me, because not one but *two* people complimented me on them yesterday! :D Hadn't had any positive feedback before then, so it was kinda awesome.

Mario Grech said:

Good to know! I will follow the recipe suggested on this site and see how that works out, I am sure like most things it will need to be tweaked to meet my own personal needs.

Laura Earle said:

Mario Grech said:

HI Laura Earle!

Laura Earle said:

Mario Grech
@mario-grech
12 years ago
10 posts

Thats encouraging!

Its going to be fun watching them mature I am sure!

I can't wait!

Good luck and I hope to see those beautiful dreads soon!

Laura Earle said:

Thanks! Just over three months. Apparently 3 was the magic number for me, because not one but *two* people complimented me on them yesterday! :D Hadn't had any positive feedback before then, so it was kinda awesome.

Mario Grech said:

Laura Earle said:

Mario Grech said:

HI Laura Earle!

Laura Earle said:

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form