Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A grateful introduction

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
Hi everyone! My name is Jamie, and I am a mama with two young sons and a baby girl. I want to share a little bit of my Dreadlock journey and some gratitude for the amazing information I've found here.I have loved and wanted dreadlocks since I was a little girl. I drove my mother crazy because I never wanted to brush my hair; I liked it wild! Sadly, my hair is straighter than straight, fine and very, very smooth (I think due to being really oily); I rarely have brushed it as an adult, as I find I don't get tangles unless its really long. So I thought I could never have dreadlocks, since I stay away from chemicals and wasn't willing to get perm dreads.Then one day I met someone at a Farmer's market who recommended a salon that could "give me" natural dreads. He said they specialized in caucasian hair. I was so excited! I started going, and spent an embarrassing amount of money to have someone put Grease in my hair and twist it. Seriously. Eventually, after a couple of months with NOTHING happening, she did a little backcombing. I stopped paying her and did it myself at home, and about a year later my hair was locking up (I realize now it locked in spite of what I was doing, not because of it!).My locks eventually formed pretty well, but someone introduced me to the (evil) wonders of dread wax as a solution for my loose hairs and loops :(Suddenly having dreads was a huge chore, and I washed them about once a month because of how much time and effort it took to wax them each time.I felt cheated, and like an imposter. Locks had always seemed like a spiritual connection to the natural world to me, and Here I was spending hours on them at a times when all I wanted was freedom. I became pregnant with my first son, and his very hard birth and early infancy once more shook my faith in my body and my connection with nature. When he was 3 months old, I realized there was no way that I could spend so much time on my hair, and I cut my dreads out. I felt so defeated.Fast forward five plus years. I became pretnant with my third and final child, my first girl. Something began stirring in me that I hadn't felt in a long time. I began to want dreads again. I found this site and became inspired.I went on to have my second beautiful homebirth, and I got to catch my daughter myself in a warm pool of water. Her birth and our triumph over some very difficult early days began to heal some old pain that I had been carrying inside of me. I decided the time was right, and that I was ready, and two weeks ago twist and ripped my hair into sections (I would have gone natural, but I honestly think it would be very hard with my hair; and I wanted a little something to start with). I couldn't be happier! I know my hair will do what it wants, and I am so excited to be along for the ride. I can't wait to see my own, beautiful, unique locks taking form, and I am feeling so much joy starting on this journey from a place of authenticity.Thank you, everyone on this site, and especially Soaring Eagle for creating this wonderful community.Many blessings,Mama Jme
updated by @mama-jme: 01/13/15 09:40:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

always happy to help just wish we could have saved ya all that money wasted time and effort

but a few months from now you should write a comparisi=on between your salon dreads and diy experiences

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
I totally will! I also wish I had known all of this sooner, but the experience has made me very grateful to get where I am now :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form