Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Introducing myself - less than a week on the journey

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm 28 now, but I grew up a homeschooled preacher's daughter in central Alabama. Not an exciting start. I love my family, but they are very conservative. Since a young age, I always had my own style - basically whatever was comfortable, didn't match, and made me feel awesome! I never fit in anywhere in Alabama. I don't like the South, really, and hope that my and now my husband's journey will lead us either out West or even overseas where are hearts have been pulling us for a long time. I married 2 years ago after waiting many years for the right guy. I love him dearly. He's in construction, and we travel from job to job around the US. We've worked some interesting places like Hawaii, but for the past 4 months we've been in South Florida. We don't like it here, but it's another lesson in patience. We never know where we'll go next, but we have our little pomeranian who travels with us too. It seems like an odd life, living out of a few duffel bags and hotel rooms, but it feels so right for us. We love to explore and hike and do photography. We travel with our Omega juicer and have both decided to go pescetarian since a few months ago. I was such a carnivore before, but I love the veggies, and my body is so happy with me now. Our goal is to save up every penny we can to build a self-sustaining cabin in the mountains somewhere.

I've always loved dreads and have wanted them for a long while. My hair was a mess of frizzy curls. I've always envied those girls who can get their curls to behave, but it makes sense now that my hair just wanted me to leave it alone. My hair and I are now at peace. It's only been a few days since tnr. I've used aloe once and I'll be shampooing for the first time today with Dr. Bronners. Otherwise, I have no plans but to wait. I've enjoyed the craftiness that has ensued as I'm finally learning to read crochet patterns to make some hats for myself to save some $.

I really appreciate the site for being here. I did a lot of research on dreads last week. Previously I thought you could only get dreads at a salon or by backcombing or using wax. I'm glad I found out those were unnecessary and harmful before I got started.

updated by @taby: 02/14/15 07:14:00AM
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Welcome!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its funny untill 10 years ago i thought u could only get dreads by doing nothing

i never knew ppl made dread4s i only knew of the stop combings and let it happen way

10 years later and most people dont believe thats possible they think u have to have a pro "install" them

that dread insallation term stil cracks me up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

You are an incredible inspiration! I love your comment about playing in the woods for a week and forgetting about your hair. I look forward to being in the woods again. As soon as we get out of Florida, I'm finding woods to romp in.

soaring eagle said:

its funny untill 10 years ago i thought u could only get dreads by doing nothing

i never knew ppl made dread4s i only knew of the stop combings and let it happen way

10 years later and most people dont believe thats possible they think u have to have a pro "install" them

that dread insallation term stil cracks me up

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

Thanks! I enjoyed your photos.

Mons said:

Welcome!
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

I hear ya! Orlando and Tampa are the only 2 cities I've been in FL that I thought were okay. I wouldn't want to stay here, but then I'm more of a mountain person than a beach person. Hope you get to go where you dream of!

Jessica Reyes said:

Welcome! I'm in orlando, so I understand, I want outta here too but I'm looking forward to the beach life when I eventually do ;-)

Ahil Ganesan
@ahil-ganesan
12 years ago
53 posts
Wow amazing story, I wish you all the best. Looks like your well prepared for your dreadlock journey!
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

Thanks, Ahil!

HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
Sounds like we could be sisters! I gave up on trying to make my clothes match years ago. My current staple is purple argyle tube socks with bright orange sneakers lol. If you guys ever get sent to Tacoma/Seattle you should hit me up. I grew up in Texas but found the Pacific Northwest to be much more accepting of my weirdness.Anywho, welcome to the site :)
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

That's ironic - my husband and I almost got sent to Seattle a month ago, but they decided to stick us in FL for one more job. I was sooo disappointed. I miss fall and winter and keep loading up on anything pumpkin or cinnamon flavored and have our hotel room decorated with pumpkins and fall leaves so I can imagine it's not 85 degrees and humid. I want to see the West Coast so bad, and I'd love to live in Washington or Oregon. You must be freezing already up there? If we get the chance to go to Seattle again, I'll definitely look for the girl with purple socks and orange shoes. My favorite outfit in highschool was a hot pink wrap around skirt (like you find in beach stores) and a sparkling silver old-lady shirt over a green tank-top I'd tie-dyed with bleach. I toned it down in college, which I regret, but there's always time to loosen up and have fun again! :) Enjoy the fall weather, and have a great day!

HayleyB124 said:

Sounds like we could be sisters! I gave up on trying to make my clothes match years ago. My current staple is purple argyle tube socks with bright orange sneakers lol. If you guys ever get sent to Tacoma/Seattle you should hit me up. I grew up in Texas but found the Pacific Northwest to be much more accepting of my weirdness.

Anywho, welcome to the site :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form