Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Roots Riot

Shane Whitlock
@shane-whitlock
12 years ago
2 posts

Yo, what's up my names Shane Ive been dreading only for 3 months now. I'm new here and I need some help! I started my dreads when my hair was kinda short it was difficult but now things(hair)are coming together, except I have one problem at the base of the dread or the roots, I cant figure out what im supposed do to make the roots lock should I just backcomb? my hair is still kinda short maybe 6 inches tops.someone told me I should justtwist the hair past were it hurts and theyll startdreading themselves. if pictures would help i can post em I've included one. someone tell me the easiest method to fix this problem.

updated by @shane-whitlock: 01/13/15 09:37:02PM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

No no, don't do anything. Trust me, the roots will tighten and dread on their own. I mean, there will always be a small amount of undreaded hair, it's perfectly normal, but the roots are the last parts to dread. Don't do anything; if you try to get them to dread before they're "ready" it can cause damage and weakness to the dread in the long run. Just be patient, it'll do it on its own :) three months is too short a time yet.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

loose roots is normal & healthy. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/faqs#roots

give them time & they will lock up more, but they shouldn't be locked all the way to the scalp anyways. don't do anything to force them tighter, it's harmful.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You shouldn't do anything to your roots. Ever.

That loose hair needs to be there to snag onto new growth and tangle into locks. If roots didn't knot up on their own, I'd have 5 inches of locks hair and 20 inches of straight hair. Eagle would have 5-6 inches locked and 10 feet of straight hair.

Baby locks should have between 1-3 inches of straight hair at the root. When they mature that shrinks to between 1/2 - 1 inchs of straight hair. Just let them be. NEVER twist your locks. That causes traction alopecia which is a major cause of balding

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

Past where it hurts? Big dread rule.....if it hurts .....something is wrong.

Shane Whitlock
@shane-whitlock
12 years ago
2 posts

Thanks Everyone

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yikes no dont do none of that just leave it alone it will dread itself but it needs to be lose fir many months
twisting will make u go bald backcombing will set the progress back to day 1
all dreading happens through neglect so ..let it dread do nothing but let it dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u made the huge mistake of using wax wax is a dread killer

your trying to force dreads to dread in hair too short to dreead and all you got is candles hair caked in swax glued together which will nevrr really dread

comb it out remove the wax wait till its 5-6 inchesd and start over right ir '

comb out dewax and let it dread naturally as it grows

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form