Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

maintenance?!?

shaina
@shaina
12 years ago
19 posts
Someone said to me "you need to work on your dreads I explained to them that I was going all natural just not brushing not really worrying about my hair, that is the point right?, she replied "you still have to work on them! Well now I'm asking, is that the case? Is there a certain way to go natural?
updated by @shaina: 01/13/15 09:36:30PM
shaina
@shaina
12 years ago
19 posts
Thought so! Thank youuu!!! :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

seperation is the only thing

what did she know

ive nnever done anything but seperate em

thats not even nesacary if u dont mond massive congos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Lots of people think that locks should look pristine and identical. That's not that case. Especially for natural ones. In fact, healthy locks need to have different shapes and sizes. There's no maintenance that they need other than washing and separating.

I ran into a similar situation a few weeks back. A girl I used to work with does hair styling on the side. She made a comment to me about how locks need no maintenance most of the time, but when they do, they need a lot. She though that once or twice a year locks needed to be cleaned up and have the roots tightened. I explained to her than any maintenance is damaging and that she shouldn't tell her clients that they needed to come back for "touch-ups". I hope it sank in. It seemed to. I think I'm one of the few people she knows with dreadlocks, let alone healthy ones. So I feel like it made a difference coming from me.

When you get into these situations, just be calm, and basic. Don't get preachy and don't go into any more detail than is absolutely necessary unless they ask more questions

shaina
@shaina
12 years ago
19 posts
Not into preaching or judging I just gave up caring about my hair. :)
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Even if you aren't into preaching, which most people aren't, it can come off like you are when you start saying that "locks are how everyone's hair naturally wants to be", or "Ifyou stop brushingyou'rehair, it will form locks". People don't want you to talk about them specifically. Keep it vague. Just talk about healthy locks. That you do wash them, how and how often. Maybe, MAYBE, bring up how long it takes, but that it is worth it. If they ask if you can speed it up, or why you don't speed it up, then explain how damaging products and maintenance are

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form