Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

thankful

sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
I just updated my profile and wanted to share what I wrote.I just want to say that dreading my hair has been the best decision I have ever made. I have spent countless hours over the past 9 or so years of my life infront of the mirror and filling my head with mainstream beauty nonsense and beating myself up inside because I didn't look like the girls in the magazines. After attending yoga teacher training I realized that I put way to much into my looks and caring about what other people think. I realized I needed to let that part of myself go if I ever wanted to be happy just being me and focus more on loving the Universal spirit that is within and without. I tried to just have the mind set of that but my old habits of getting ready, using hot irons, wanting that perfect layered haircut and negative self conciousness weren't going to go away on their own, so dreading seemed like the perfect option. Something that I had to fully commit to that I couldnt really go back on easily. Well its working. I spend almost zero minutes infront of the mirror obsessing about how I look, I wear little to no makeup and I am more comfortable with myself than I have ever been. That isn't to say I haven't had any freak out moments wondering Oh my gosh! I traded beautiful silky sexy long hair for knots! But those moments don't last long once I contemplate the superficial egotistical truth of that thought. I am so thankful for finding this site and I'm so thankful I can live my life fully instead of living it infront of the mirror.
updated by @sarai: 01/13/15 09:36:25PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Congrats. That's excellent. Locks bring out the beauty within everyone, and they are super sexy too. So don't worry about losing sexy straight hair for knots. Locks are just as sexy. Plus the types of guys/girls you'll attract will be more conducive to you're lifestyle.

I used to dye my hair all sorts of colours, and wear black eyeliner and black nail polish. I didn't spend much time in front of a mirror, but I did spend some. Now I spend absolutely no time there except when I brush my teeth, It is extremely freeing

Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

I completely understand you, as I feel almost everyone on this site does. We all experience the same sorta feelings, and that's cool :) it makes this site such a comfortable place to be.

I went through much of the same things, and discovering myself is such a long journey (because I'll never be done, there is always more to learn).

Congratulations on being yourself and placing less value, or no value, in what society, the media, or other people say. Only you really know what it good for you. Stay beautiful <3

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i love it congrats

its funny ..when jonny "clean" came here for our lil debate and the subject of spiritualality and dreading came up he actualy said "well cant you see how spending hours in front of a mirror perfecting your style can be spiritual too?"

letting go of who your expected to be ..the perfect girl in the mcazines and simoly being who you are is a spiritual awakening ..becoming yor true self

standing in front of a mirror all day perfecting an image is just putting on a costume ..pretending to be someone u think u should be

and in jonny's case it shows ..hes a clown..not real at all..the way he talks and acts so fake

just like those "gandsta" kids that grow up in ansions far from any gheto but put on an act just to be cool

rambling a lil bit (still on 1st cup of cofeee)

point being

dreading lets u let go of althoe expectations and you can simply be you.. and its ok if you disapoint thowe who want you to be ..themn..or someone else .. their ideas of who you should be and what you should do with your life

cause its your life to live on your terms and dreading lets u be happy with your decisions without feeling the pressure to satisfy everyone elses expectations and perceptions of the perfect you

if that made any sense

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
sarai
@sarai
12 years ago
38 posts
It's wonderful to read everyones replys. There's a lot to be said about the many levels of shared inner experience. I love it.I dont see how spending hours on something essentially superficial and transient can be spiritual...lol. but we are all on our own path towards liberation, some have a longer way to go than others and isn't something that can be judged by outer appearance and false attitude alone.I have noticed that Having dreads is really just exchanging one ego trip for another if you begin to see yourself as better or more real. I have noticed this in myself at times, especially when I was going though yoga teacher training its what's termed as spiritual pride and its just another ego layer that will shed itself in its own time if being real and loving towards all is your goal.All that matters is you love yourself and love others for who they are as well. It's a long road but each step is a blessing.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form