Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Whats with the negativity?

Kato
@kato
12 years ago
18 posts
It's been 10 months since I began my dreads and I have no regrets, my husband has been supportive. Friends and family really didn't comment at all and have not said anything to me about my hair since I began this journey. I know this is because they don't like it. Before dreads my hair was a frequent topic as everyone loved how long it was and thought it was beautiful. I haven't minded the fact that they all kept quiet as I felt if they had nothing nice to say about it they were good enough to keep it to themselves.last week was my birthday and one of my family who i dont see often finally said something, it was all negative and once he started he just couldn't stop paying out on me about my hair. the funny thing is he has friends who have dreads, his point was that mine weren't real because I didn't get them done at the hair dressers. And it was all other rude rubbish about how shit my hair was etc...I didn't realise that I would be so offended but for some reason this really hurt!I thought I was getting over worrying about what people thought. judging from my reaction though I think I have a long way to go.so on with the journey, this can only make me stronger, more aware, and helps me to see who the people are in my life that really care.Has anyone else experienced this? What is the best reaction to these kind of negative comments, I want to a be a peaceful person! But these things still seem to bother me?
updated by @kato: 01/13/15 09:36:23PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

i would have laughed and said is a tree in the forrest more real then 1 painted by a painter>?/\how are dreads that form naturaly less real then those forced into existence by a salon?

in fact natural dreads are more real then salon dreads because they form the traditional way by letting nature do what it does

whoevcer thbat was that said that is ignorant stupid or just an asshole

possibly all 3

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
amethyst777
@amethyst777
12 years ago
95 posts

Soaring Eagle had the perfect reply :)

Kato
@kato
12 years ago
18 posts
Thanks for your reply,s I really appreciate your imput, it helps to have support of real people.Xo:)
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

My mom has been against my locks since day 1. When my wedding was coming up, she finally caved about me having them. But... She wanted me to comb them out so she could pay for me to go to a salon and have them "done" nicely.

My aunt doesn't talk about them much, but one day went on and on about how they will make me go bald.

My grandfather, who is from the old country, constantly tells me to cut them and that I am too old to have funny hair.

We all have people in out lives who don't approve of the things we do. Luckily this is someone you don't see regularly.

Christopher Landon Cremeans
@christopher-landon-cremeans
12 years ago
14 posts

I'm only on day four of my journey to dreads and what few knots I have aren't noticeable enough to make people want to say something to me my uncle gets disgusted when I talk about it or give the reason why I don't comb my hair. I ignore him and continue my journey. The rest of the family is supportive of my choice to start dreads.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

This reply from your grampa made me seriously giggle my ass off... haha. :)

Baba Fats said:

My mom has been against my locks since day 1. When my wedding was coming up, she finally caved about me having them. But... She wanted me to comb them out so she could pay for me to go to a salon and have them "done" nicely.

My aunt doesn't talk about them much, but one day went on and on about how they will make me go bald.

My grandfather, who is from the old country, constantly tells me to cut them and that I am too old to have funny hair.

We all have people in out lives who don't approve of the things we do. Luckily this is someone you don't see regularly.

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

Honey I've been told so many things about my hair, like many others who have responded. It won't dread. It's too soft. It's not for white people, blacks started it. Uhm, it looks like serious bedhead. I'll hate it after a while. Sooo many things. My sister-in-law hates my dreading hair because she says she loves the way it looked before... Eh. Best thing to do is keep your chin up, even when the road seems tough, prove everyone wrong and LOVE your dreads and yourself regardless of what others say. For a while I will be the pot calling the kettle black, but this is what I have learned... haven't had to guts to put it into practice yet though. :P Best wishes to you.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form