dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey there everybody! ^_^

Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of research on dreadlocks and I have to say, this site has been amazing for providing excellent information as well as answering a lot of my questions. It's been so helpful that I've decided to join. :) Dreadlocks are something I've been thinking about for a long time but never really researched seriously. Well, now I'm thinking it's about time I get a least a couple of dreads to try them out for myself. I'd like to start two small dreads to-night, one behind each of my ears. I think this should give me a feel for what it's like and if I want to add more later on. I'm planning to go the twist & rip route, without any products.

Cheers,

Orion Child.

updated by @orion-child: 01/13/15 09:36:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why not do 2 tnr and let the rest go natural while u decide then if u want to go on you got a good start and wont need to tnr u can just let it continue to dread

but welcome and yea we try hard to have nothing but the best info

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

Thanks. :)

That's a good idea, but you see, I like dreads a lot but I also really like partial dreads. I might eventually dread my whole head and then I likely will go natural, but for now I'd like to keep the majority of my hair undreaded.

I do have a couple of questions though. The TNR method seems straight-forward enough but I need to know a little bit more. For one thing, how much space should I leave above the first knot? Do I need to use rubber bands, or will separating the dreads from the straight hair work well enough? I've read that bands can bend your hair and prevent dreads from forming if they're too tight. In any case I'd like to avoid them if they don't make that big a difference.

Also: just how exact do I have to be when picking out the sections for my dreads? How does the section size relate to the mature dread size? I'd like my dreads to be fairly small; I'm thinking about half an inch in diametre.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the secrion size determines the mature dread sizae when u tnr the baby dread will be way thinner then the section and will faten up

you dont got to be exact u can let it section itself even just be sure you dont have alot of hair from 1 section inro another

no rubber bands! ever

tnr u twist a section split into 2 unequal peices pull apart put together split in a new spot randomly pull apart the knots will go near the roots but wull loosenj to a few inches from the scalp soon enough

retwist every so often but not too often

and the more random the splits and twusts the better

--
Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

Thanks! Got them in reeeally early this morning, before going to bed. My hair hasn't been cut in forever so my baby dreads are very fuzzy with hairs sticking out all over the place. I suppose if I leave them be they'll eventually join into the dread right? Also, I have a couple of inches at the bottoms that are really hard to tnr, since there isn't as much hair. This is where the re-twisting happens, yes? And one more question, would it be a good idea to wrap them to help keep the undreaded hair out? I'm thinking it might help keep them straight as well, as I'd rather not have too many bumps or kinks.

Thanks for all your help, SE. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no lwave them akone i meant as you tnr you retwist the ection every so often

the fuzz is normakl ane will get better over tme

wrapping can kep the rest of the hairout but will make em super skinny with way fatter roots

you will love the loops and bumps let em happen

if they arent looping they arent dreading

--
Orion Child
@orion-child
12 years ago
7 posts

Haha all right I'll chill out. Thanks again. ;)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form