Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can Extensions thicken?

Steenvick
@steenvick
12 years ago
35 posts

I have undesireable short dreads, and thought about extending them in the future. I wonder if I buy synthetic hair and make dreads out of them, will they thicken with the rest of the hair, or will they stay as thin as I make them forever?

updated by @steenvick: 01/13/15 09:32:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well

1st off short dreads extend themselves in time the 1st year yea they shrink 2nd year they grow and grow your short dreads wont be short too long

extentioms will always feel fake and most who get em dont keep em long cayse they just dont feel right

niow to the question it kindadepends ion how u make em and maintain em if u are careful to use around the same ammount of hair

im not sure if real hair vs sybnthetic matters

if you dont crochet they should thicken as they actualy dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Steenvick
@steenvick
12 years ago
35 posts

Ah, okay, sounds good. I only wish to wear the extensions until my hair gets to the desireable length. I want to be able to wrap them up on top of my head into a big full ball and have lots of volume, and I wont be able to do that in a veeery long time without length.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it wont take hat long at all

i think it was 1/2 waty thru the 2nd year oi wa able to

--
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
Synth dreads will loosen up and expand slightly, but wil never dread correctly, and they feel like itchy plastic wool always. Human hair dread extensions are much nicer and will actually dread up because they are real hair, but they are expensive. Roving wool dreads are inexpensive and look closer to real dreads than synthetic dreads, plus they are dyable to your color. There are lots of temporary ways to put them all in, but it's all undesirable, as your either binding your roots causing your natural dreads to slow down, or you can get them caught in your dreads. You can crochet them to the ends of your dreads if your using human hair, but, well that's super damaging and more permanent. Roving seems to be the least harmful but again, your tieing up the roots.I feel your pain, I originally started this with the idea of BAM instant super dreads cause I've been a synthetic braid in junkie for years. But you can join me in the relaxing and letting go club :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i look at the synth dreads and extensions and all that as more of a costume you put on while growing real dreads is a journey and sometimes its the hardships of the journey that make it so much more worthwhile and enlightening and maybe its having to go through the short mesy stages that will really make u appreciate then more for year after year till they are beyond long and strong

i mean you can extend em for the 1st 2 years then cut the extensions off and they last 2 more years b4 u get tired of em and comb em out or u can struggle on through till they truly are a part of you u never want to be without and they grow and grow to the ground and beyond

--
Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
You hit it. Synth dreads are about a look. That you change like you change your shirt.

soaring eagle said:

i look at the synth dreads and extensions and all that as more of a costume you put on while growing real dreads is a journey and sometimes its the hardships of the journey that make it so much more worthwhile and enlightening and maybe its having to go through the short mesy stages that will really make u appreciate then more for year after year till they are beyond long and strong

i mean you can extend em for the 1st 2 years then cut the extensions off and they last 2 more years b4 u get tired of em and comb em out or u can struggle on through till they truly are a part of you u never want to be without and they grow and grow to the ground and beyond

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form