Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

brittle dreads

Kristy dow
@kristy-dow
12 years ago
6 posts
Hi all.Looking for advice. I have very prickly damaged dreads, they are rock hard and.are driving me crazy every where they touch.I have used jajoba oil,aloe juice,olive oil, dread head coditioner and shampoo, exspensive repair shampoos and conditioners organic and not. I have cut off over a foot in length. I am at the stage where it seems the only thing that will help is cutting them off and starting again.
updated by @kristy-dow: 02/15/15 03:37:55PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well the crochet u did will make em kinda prickly from broken hairs popping out all over it also makes tgem waty way too tight but u say that was 5 years ago they should have recovered im thinking u probly have alot of buildup thats maybe causing this so i think you are using some tuff thats good but have just used too much too long without removal whatever the dreadhead conditioner was was probly the worse

so

id start with a nutragena or suave anti residue or clarift[ying shampoo (not great fir constant use only to remove buildup)

followed by a light conditioning using aloe

for everyday use id try the bars from www.dreadlockshampoo.com wich should leave em soft and healthy

how thick are the dreads? is there any wet dog smell when damp?

was wax ever used even long ago?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kristy dow
@kristy-dow
12 years ago
6 posts
Yes I did use wax at the begging yucky stuff and that was about 8 years ago. Some of my dreads are fairly thick others are thin, some are 2 or 3 that have become 1. When I use oils they get rancid. Thank you so much for this help I greatly appreciate it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok

use wax b gone too wax can really fucjk yp dreads fior years and years you might have mold growing in em too

ok revised prescriotion

wax remival with wax b gone etc

residue remoaval (beyond wax remival)

and

3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 cup water 50 drops lavender oil (adjust volume to need u might need 5-10 cups)

soak dreads and leave in 24 hours

wash

sun dry

use www.dreadlockshampoo.cim soaps only no aloe (yet) keep doing this till they have softened and no smell

then if u need aloe use a lil

--
Kristy dow
@kristy-dow
12 years ago
6 posts
Thank you for your advice.Is the lavender for scent? Or is it a help with removing build up?I will certainly keep you updated.Wow having your advice has given me sense of relief. :)
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Lavender is a natural anti-bacterial. If mold is growing, the Lavender should help kill it. The vinegar will help remove it.

If the Lavender doesn't work, a good long soak in water with the wax-b-gone and a healthy amount of clove oil should really help kill the mold/mildew and start removing the wax.

Remember, though, that the wax has been in there for years. Over that time, is got compressed, melted a bit in heat, and is now deep down inside your locks. 1 session will not get all of the wax out. This is an ongoing process, that can take months. Every time you wash your hair, use the wax-b-gone first. Soak them and work it into your locks. Then do your normal wash to remove what you can.

Kristy dow
@kristy-dow
12 years ago
6 posts
Awesome thank you Baba. I am allergic to lavender, clove perfect.My friend and I were chatting about my hair today and the wax. In the tropix I cut my dreads into a bob, we think all wax would have been cut out. My hair is brittle to the top.Defenetly going to try the viniger mix and give it another 6 months.Thank you for taking time out to share your knowledge :)It is wonderful.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

not nesacarily when its hot u tie your dreads up the wax then melts and oozes its way towards the roots and runs down your forehead

so theres a chance its still in there even if u chopped off the parts that were waxed

possibility but not definate

it does still seem like u got heavy buildup and molding so its your judgement call wether to go with wax b gone or the anti residue

--
Kristy dow
@kristy-dow
12 years ago
6 posts
Thank you again souring eagle eagle. I will have a look at the products today.Wow your hair is so amazingly long, is it really heavy?Namaste
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

nah its heavy when wet and only time i feel the weight at all is if its tied up crooked or flopping around off ballence

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form