Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A up, how we doin?

Al NatureBoy Hand
@al-natureboy-hand
12 years ago
5 posts

Hi, I've just joined today, been wanting to for a while, but only jus found a laptop that kind of works, how is everyone?

I used the twist and rip method, pretty much left them to it, but I've been twistin n rippin the ends a little to make sure they don't loosen too much, I had really straight hair and I'm not sure but I think it makes it more difficult, anyways yeah, I'm me, I play music, I garden and walk and I'm lookin forward to chattin to you folks.

updated by @al-natureboy-hand: 01/13/15 09:32:30PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Welcome. but there's no need to TnR the tips over and over. They should be loose. Loose tips helps the water drain out of them when you wash. And they are only a few months old, right? So the whole lock is going to loosen up and tighten and loosen and tighten over the next few months. Every time you reTnR them, you are setting the progress back to day 1. They won't actually mature if you keep making them babies again.

I can't tell from you picture, but if you are only redoing the tips, are you using rubber bands on them? If so, stop. Rubber bands restrict movement, cause weak spots, and can get sucked into your locks where they will break down and start to rot causing mold and mildew in your locks.

Good luck. We're all here to help and answer and questions you've got, and give any moral support you may need

Little Wing
@little-wing
12 years ago
41 posts

Hello. Welcome!.

I also have super straight hair that I think is really hard to dread naturally. I started with backombed and crochet 4 months ago and I haven't done anything, just separate them once in a while (that I also hope doing it correctly). And I know I'm hard to dread since I left some side bangs and they are straight as hell, haha.

Anyways, will be good to see pictures of your dreads!. Have a nice day.

Al NatureBoy Hand
@al-natureboy-hand
12 years ago
5 posts

Hey, thank you for the advice :) that's seriously a great help, I don't really know anyone who understands dreadlocks and how they work and thanks for the welcome guys, I'll put some pics up soon I hope.

Have a good un :D

Baba Fats said:

Welcome. but there's no need to TnR the tips over and over. They should be loose. Loose tips helps the water drain out of them when you wash. And they are only a few months old, right? So the whole lock is going to loosen up and tighten and loosen and tighten over the next few months. Every time you reTnR them, you are setting the progress back to day 1. They won't actually mature if you keep making them babies again.

I can't tell from you picture, but if you are only redoing the tips, are you using rubber bands on them? If so, stop. Rubber bands restrict movement, cause weak spots, and can get sucked into your locks where they will break down and start to rot causing mold and mildew in your locks.

Good luck. We're all here to help and answer and questions you've got, and give any moral support you may need

Al NatureBoy Hand
@al-natureboy-hand
12 years ago
5 posts

I'm not totally sure how to work this site yet haha thanks for the welcome, hopefully get some decent pics up soon, top fluff and all haha. Not sure I'll seperate mine too much, hoping for some fat ones :) have a nice day n all

Georgina said:

Hello. Welcome!.

I also have super straight hair that I think is really hard to dread naturally. I started with backombed and crochet 4 months ago and I haven't done anything, just separate them once in a while (that I also hope doing it correctly). And I know I'm hard to dread since I left some side bangs and they are straight as hell, haha.

Anyways, will be good to see pictures of your dreads!. Have a nice day.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hi Al! Welcome aboard!!

What Baba said was pretty much spot on in regards to the TnRing. I also used TnR to start mine but just let them go after than. They got really loose and then tightened up at about 1 month. Now they are just crazy :)

Also, since you are going to congo your dreads, he would be a great resource as to taking care of fat dreads. Once they get to a certain diameter then become a lot harder to care for so it would be good to know what you are up against in the future.

Al NatureBoy Hand
@al-natureboy-hand
12 years ago
5 posts

Learnin everyday haha, thank you for the welcome! :) so congo is the term, sounds like I might need alot more advice than I thought, I'll have to have a see about that then, depending on the difficulty I mgiht not do it, I know it sounds like a cop out, but we'll see as they grow :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont tnr the ends over and over or u will delay progrss just leavbe em be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's not difficult. Drying really fat locks just takes some extra time. I have a few good tips on how to speed up this process. It just deals with wringing them out a few times in different intervals and then how to blow dry them if you need to.

Nikki Whiskgirl Lindsey
@nikki-whiskgirl-lindsey
12 years ago
14 posts

hey, im a newbie around here too, but after lurking for a week with the odd post i have had someinvaluable advice, the people are great and always willing to help....enjoy your dread journey :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form