Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

new dreads

Nikki Whiskgirl Lindsey
@nikki-whiskgirl-lindsey
12 years ago
14 posts

hey, i'm about to start my dread journey for the 2nd time, i tried the natural method and gave up after 3 months because nothing was really happening, so am thinking i will try back combing, my friend is willing to help as she did her sons with the same method 6 years ago, he now has long gorgeous dreads. any advice would be really appreciated as other than my friends son i dont know anyone with dreads...thanks in advance :)

updated by @nikki-whiskgirl-lindsey: 02/14/15 09:20:00AM
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

Just DON'T use wax lol :P

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1st lets see why natural didnt work what were u washing with how often and how were u waashing and drying were u finger combing wearing it up in a poinytail or hat?

i bet ya anything ifd we made a couple changes it would dread naturaly much faster

2nd backcomb is not the best method tfo start if your not going natural tnr is a far better way to go

so give me the full routine u were doing while trying to go natural

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i would hope by now most ppl know not to use wax...most but not all

but it is good to mention whenever ppl mention backcombing ince it falls out mor e often then tnr backcombers are more likely to use wax

MamaKittyLove said:

--
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

That's why I mentioned it, some people don't know. I know that the first time I joined this site I was interested in the wax!! You saved me lol.

soaring eagle said:

i would hope by now most ppl know not to use wax...most but not all

but it is good to mention whenever ppl mention backcombing ince it falls out mor e often then tnr backcombers are more likely to use wax

MamaKittyLove said:

Nikki Whiskgirl Lindsey
@nikki-whiskgirl-lindsey
12 years ago
14 posts

i was going to use wax, not anymore. i very nearly spent a fortune on a dread kit till i found this site,

when i tried to go natural i washed once a week with baking soda and thats it, i tried to not touch my hair at all and never finger brushed. the closest i got was one matted but underneath at the back, the rest just didnt do anything apart from look messy. i have very fine dead straight hair so not sure of that had something to do with it?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

oily?

well once u get 1 matted bit more will follow soon after its typical to start in the back

adding sea salt would have sped it up a bit but really you were right about average with dreads starting to form at a couple months

and absolutel;y do not use a kit or wax!

try tnr right now see how easy it is and how it loks better and works better with less damage

--
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
12 years ago
198 posts

My hair is pretty fine and on the straighter side too but I don't think that would be a problem. I've seen plenty of people with reeeeally fine straight hair have awesome natural dreadlocks.

Me, I'm getting my head twist n ripped tonight because I am too impatient to wait on the natural process lolol. I don't like how the back combed dreads look compared to the natural and tnr methods.

Nikki Whiskgirl Lindsey said:

i was going to use wax, not anymore. i very nearly spent a fortune on a dread kit till i found this site,

when i tried to go natural i washed once a week with baking soda and thats it, i tried to not touch my hair at all and never finger brushed. the closest i got was one matted but underneath at the back, the rest just didnt do anything apart from look messy. i have very fine dead straight hair so not sure of that had something to do with it?

Nikki Whiskgirl Lindsey
@nikki-whiskgirl-lindsey
12 years ago
14 posts

yeh it is quite oily. i did one last week with tnr and it fell out the next day :/ part of me thinks my hair will never dread due to its fineness, altho i have been told it will. the one matted but i had was very thick, this kinda put me off as i want some kind of neatness, not that i want perfect uniform locks, just not one huge fat one.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok heres what you do

continure to wash weekly with baking soda no acv add thyme tea to the bs or as a spray on the scalp to be left on

this will slowly make u ess p]oily its the oils that are the issue not the finess

actualy might be better to wash 2x a week at what day do u usualy start getting oily? wash the day after that

then extend it another day till u can go 4 days without being oily at all then just keep wasgh]=hing on that 4th day

add lil sea salt to the mix too

\when it shifts from oily to too dry start slowly ading an acv rinse after the bs but really weak at 1st

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form