Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello! New to forum and looking for opinion.

Amanda Robinson
@amanda-robinson
12 years ago
4 posts

Hola.. so, sorry to say, I have no dreads. I am considering doing partial or full dreads. However, most of my friends are appalled imagining me with them, so I'm looking for some non-friend opinions by people who have dreads.

I have really fine hair, but I have a lot of it. When I cut my hair I thin out a lot of it so it's easier to manage. Not sure if that makes a difference or not when dreading.

Here's me.. Please let me know if you think dreads would look terrible or not on. Depending on the response I would like to try a few and then see about more. I have a really weak chin and a small head which is my concern with dreading, that it might make it look worse.

I'm on the right:

Sorry for the photo spam. :x

updated by @amanda-robinson: 02/14/15 06:24:39AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

youd look amazing but its not about how you look but how you feel if you want to dread dont let anyone stop you nobodies opinion matters but yours

how would u start though thats the question of concern i just dont want you starting off wrong

but i brt most ppl here will say you will look amazing

stop thinning your hair tho!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amanda Robinson
@amanda-robinson
12 years ago
4 posts

I'm not sure what method I'd do as of yet, I plan on researching that once I decide whether I'm doing it or not.

And yeah, I need to stop thinning it. The first two pictures were taken after I'd had my hair cut really short, layered, and thinned. Looks bad once it grows out! The last picture is my hair just growing naturally without styling, just me oiling the ends every day (I don't have to deal with splot ends when I do oil it.)

soaring eagle said:

youd look amazing but its not about how you look but how you feel if you want to dread dont let anyone stop you nobodies opinion matters but yours

how would u start though thats the question of concern i just dont want you starting off wrong

but i brt most ppl here will say you will look amazing

stop thinning your hair tho!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/dreaducation-comprehensive

start researching

you also dont get split ends when you dont comb

combing is the cause of split ends

take your comb tosds it in the trash

let your hair decide if your meant to dread or not

--
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
I agree with soaring eagle, you'll look great with it :)
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

I thinkyou would look amazing with dreads!! If you want them go for it!!! Just have to have the courage in you to not care what others think. Otherwise people constantly giving you negativity on them might get to be too much for you. But I bet you canhandle it if you wantthem bad enough! <3 Thereare always going to be people out there who don't like things about us. But as long as we like ourselves that is ALL that matters in the end. <3

And coming from someone who had dreads for 4 yrs once and now 2 months new again they are such an eye opener to so many things in life and a great bringer of joy if you ask me! :)

Also you CAN always comb them out if you really decide they are not for you someday. I was able to comb my first set out after 4 yrs! It took me 2-3 months to do it but I did! Now 5 years later on my second journey I kind of wish I hadn't done that because they would be so amazing and long now but oh well live and learn! :)

Amanda Robinson
@amanda-robinson
12 years ago
4 posts

Thank you, all three of you. :)

I had a friend bring up cultural appropriation when I asked her opinion, but after doing hours and hours of research into the origins of dreads as well as reading up on some threads here on it, I've decided that I don't feel like I am appropriating any one culture by letting my hair dread. (and that's all I'm going to say on it as there are many prior threads debating it on here.)

For those of you with them, how did your employers react?

And in the case that I do not like them, I know it is possible to comb them out instead of cutting (I hate having short hair myself as I love my hair long. My question is are they are going to look crinkly or dull if I ever do decide to comb them out once I have them?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

,u employers reaction was "wow" and they included my picture on all the companies promo materials mugs calendars posters u name it

--
James8
@james8
12 years ago
2 posts

Hola Amanda,

I work at a health insurance company as an actuary. Everyone I work with is very much a carbon copy of what you would expect. The dress code states business casual, and that you have to look neat. Most everyone wears pants, button down shirt/ or dress. The managers and directors often where suits. I stopped cutting all my hair over a year ago when I found the light within myself. So first, there was the beard. There were alot of jokes about it, nobody understood of course, and I would just tell them I wasn't ever going to shave anymore. Fast forward to Dec 11, I started washing my hair with baking soda(per 'No Impact Man'), and putting it up in a top knot, without combing. In the middle of January, my first dread formed.I found this site loaded with locking wisdom from SE's head. As others formed, and my hair became more and more wild, I obviously would get many confused glances, but noone ever said anything to me about it. Until a few weeks ago, when I came in, everyone decided it was the day to ask me what was up with my hair. So I explained myself as best as possible, and was met with nothing but respect. I have had no trouble at all with my hair inthisprofessional environment. My work gets lots of praise and people are very happy to interact/work with me. The bottom line, when you realize its time for you to start existing in your true form, just do it. No need to even think about what the employers, or your friends will say. Don't ever let your ego hold you back. Blessings out <3! PS, locks will look beautiful on you ;)

FREEBIRD
@freebird
12 years ago
15 posts

My first attempt at dreads back combed and waxed. Looked good for two days then poo after that. Took out because I couldn't handle it 3mnths. Second time natural. Took it out because my dreads where big balls in my hair. 2mths. Now I twist and ripped and am very happy. Once you do research you will know what all I am talking about. I learned from trail and error. i also learned before I started my last set that I needed to built my patience, and self confidence. So I could handle the negitive and learn to emprace the good. My heart just kept saying dreads. i got tons of compliments on my non dreaded hair all the time, but I wasn't happy and that's what made the difference.

dreads are a journey. I can relate them to the stories of the boys going out into the wilderness and coming back a man.

But in a moderncence beginning dreads, going through the disapproval, sterotyping, Questioning your decision, worrying about jobs and what others think. Going out in the world with your dreads at first can be scary. thenyou figure out for yourself what you think and then realizing you have the courage to stand up for what youthink...I think dreads build character like that.

If I was your friend I'd tell you if you havethecourage to believe..then I don't doubt you:)What helped me was studing dreads and everything ascociated with them. So if someone sayed ....I was trying to be black or somthing like that...I would say...I am that i am only by the grace of god. And if someone asked me if I was a rasta...I could say40 percent. i respect the way of life but do not believe in some of the principles. Like the above post many interesting people have came up to me and had conversations with me different types from when I was main stream. A lot more of my kinda people creative...open minded ect. i was so unhappy with my life because i wasn't being true to myself. Someone called me a name I'd just mope around and believe then and do what they did because I didn't have the courage to do my own thing. :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form