Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New dreadie w/ a couple of questions

Krista Miller
@krista-miller
12 years ago
8 posts

Hi! So my name is Krista I've had my dreads for 10 months now. I LOVE my dreads and I'm so happy I decided to start them.

I started them using the backcombing method, tied them off, and then once they started matting on their own I took out the bands. I wash my dreads with the BA and ACV along with some other oils once ever 2 weeks. Seems to work wonders for me. The only time I get itchy is when I'm about 3 to 4 days out from my wash. And even then it's not bad.

For about6 months I crocheted them on and off because I thought at first I needed to keep them nice and neat. Then I came across a post that said crocheting was NOT good for dreadlocks and I immediately stopped. However I also read that if you want to control loose hairs you can corchet them into the top of your dread where the hair is loose. Does anyone know if this is true? Is that okay to do or should I just not worry about it?

Also some of my dreads are pretty tight. I'm assuming thats from the previous crocheting I did. I know they will loosen up but is there any way I can help that happen quicker?

-Krista

updated by @krista-miller: 01/13/15 09:23:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

crochet..is a bad idea and makes em very thin u dont want to control loose hairs..at all leave em be

you can condition with aloe or jojoba to help em recover faster

and u should wash more often if u itch at 3 days wash at 3 days

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't do it. Crocheting at all is bad for your locks. It breaks hairs and makes the lock weaker. If you have longer locks and crochet the root, you are puttingunnecessaryweight on broken hairs. You risk more chance of them falling out.

Plus, crocheting only looks good for about a day. Once you wash, you end up with more and more loose hairs sticking out of your lock. The more the crochet to fix those hairs the more you create.

It'll take a long time for your locks to recover from what you've already done, but it's worth it to have stronger and more long lasting locks in the end

Krista Miller
@krista-miller
12 years ago
8 posts

Okay, awesome. Thank you! Can I get jojoba at a natural food store or is it something I have to order online?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

probly can it depends on the store

u can get an aloe vera plant at any gardebn center too but make sure its aloe vera no other aloe variety as some are skin iritants

--
Krista Miller
@krista-miller
12 years ago
8 posts

I've stopped the crocheting for sure. Thank you!

Baba Fats said:

Don't do it. Crocheting at all is bad for your locks. It breaks hairs and makes the lock weaker. If you have longer locks and crochet the root, you are puttingunnecessaryweight on broken hairs. You risk more chance of them falling out.

Plus, crocheting only looks good for about a day. Once you wash, you end up with more and more loose hairs sticking out of your lock. The more the crochet to fix those hairs the more you create.

It'll take a long time for your locks to recover from what you've already done, but it's worth it to have stronger and more long lasting locks in the end

Krista Miller
@krista-miller
12 years ago
8 posts

Sorry, I don't start getting itchy head till like a week after I wash. Is it okay tocontinue the BS-AV and oil wash once a week? Should I be doing something else?

Thanks for all your help!

soaring eagle said:

crochet..is a bad idea and makes em very thin u dont want to control loose hairs..at all leave em be

you can condition with aloe or jojoba to help em recover faster

and u should wash more often if u itch at 3 days wash at 3 days

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no your good but 2 x a weeks good too washing helps dreads dread

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus