Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

patience in an instant gratification world.

Sam5
@sam5
12 years ago
3 posts

So obviously I am new to the site, although I have been lurking for about a week. I have found heaps of great info to which I am thankful as i had originally planned to go to a salon to do it, now it will be au natural. I have wanted dreads for ages and even started some back in my early twenties, now closer to forty I have decided that it is time. I have short hair about 3 inches long, although thick and curly (Caucasian hair), but I hated having to pay to get it cut, I hated long hair because it required time and lots of maintenance. At present I have stopped doing anything other than washing with dr. Bronners which is what I have used for ages anyway. I realize my hair is too short to really dread yet - thus the patience factor, but this my journey and I am ready for it. My concern is ways to keep the hair looking tidyish, I work in a quasi corporate world that does require a certain level of status quo maintenance. Does anyone have some suggestions for keeping short rather wild hair underwraps?

updated by @sam5: 01/13/15 09:22:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u got 2 choices 1 tie it bacxk or cover it

or 2

tell your bosses that youve been going through a spiritual awakening for yeaers and its time for you to let your hair dread as a commitmentto your self

you dont haver to keep it under wraps i=or tidy if you justify yourself

however you can tgen enter into a cfonversation about what you are and arent willing to do

keeopiong in mu=ind that company policy and corporarte image cant contradict civil rights

dresads are a part of practicly every religion abnd spirityuality so with the proper justification they are protected by law and thety legaly cant maker you cover cut comb tidy or trim ..or rrally do anything that goes against your belefs

additionaly i have written a letterto employers quite awhikle back unfortunately i dont think ifg-ts ij the jobs section since that section didnt exist yet

if you can find it and edit it that mnay help

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sam5
@sam5
12 years ago
3 posts

Thanks for the reminder that i need to just be who I am regardless of the corporate culture. Surprisingly I went into work without tidying or covering and no one said anything. Perhaps that thought I had a bad hair day and were being kind, but it was liberating to not do the hair and just go. I guess we will see if their reactions change over the next few months. Thanks

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

Normal loose hair has restrictions. It has to be washed, cut and groomed. The minute you start to dread...you become liberated! But the most wonderful thing is.....the rules change!! Even Guys with dreads can do so many wonderful things to their hair that would make normal hair guys seem effeminate. Dready men with buns and hair bands look SEXY!!! You are a whole new you...think outside of the box. If you are having a messy day....and the CEO is coming in....don't be afraid to sport that head band or scarf! I wore head bands a whole lot that first year....it kinda tames the beast and it keeps it out of your eyes!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form