Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

tip bands

meakia miakinkoff-murzynsky
@meakia-miakinkoff-murzynsky
12 years ago
31 posts

I feel like I want to band (or tie with string or something ) the tips of my baby dreads (2 weeks) my hair is super straight and silky and the hair below the bands that I had in came undone completely, I don't want them to unravel....

updated by @meakia-miakinkoff-murzynsky: 02/14/15 08:31:39AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Locks should be wispy at the tips. It helps them dry faster. If they are blunted it canliterallyadd hours to your drying time. If you want the lock to knot faster you could put beads on them. But bands should never be used. If you feel like there's absolutely nothing else you can use, I'll tell you what... Let them hang free as much as you can. When you wash them, put the bands on the tips just to secure them, but as soon as they dry, take the bands off. It wont help as much as you think it will, and you'll be going through bands like crazy, but keeping bands in your hair long term can cause a lot of damage. First it will pull out hairs that should be kept in your locks. Second It will cause weak spots where they are tighter than they should be. Third, if any part of a broken band get stuck in your hair, it can degrade and start to rot there.

Using small beads is a much more effective and desirable way to keep locks looking neater and much cooler

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

takl,e all bands ouyt bands are a very basd idea you nevrr want rubber bands in dreads period

the ones u have in must come out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
12 years ago
31 posts

I like the idea of banding them during washing :0) I don't want blunted ends, I just don't want them to unravel.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'd really just say use beads. I only recommend bands in extreme cases. It's still not good for your hair even if you only use them for a few minutes every few days.

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

My hair is like yours and in the beginning I did use bands because my t&r would wash out in an instant. I'm almost 4 month into my journey and now I just use some beads and string. I wrap a dread with string and leave it for maybe 2-3 weeks, then I move the string to another dread and leave it there for another 2-3 weeks. I usually don't wrap the tips, only the root and/or the middle of the dread.I find that this really helpsthem along.My tips are all loose but I'm ok with that now. I even think I'll miss them if they do dread.

I understand completely why you want to use the bands, but I will also tell you that when I finally decided to let go of them, it was a relief.

12 years ago
31 posts

thanks bunches sussi, it's nice to hear from someone with the same hair type.

12 years ago
31 posts

dread babies are 2 weeks old, I had bands on the roots and tips, but took them all out a couple days ago. I was nervous about washing today (I do about every 3 days) because the baking soda makes my tips super soft and they have been unraveling, I felt like if I took the tip bands off then the process would continue up my whole dread and they would fall out. So today I washed with baking soda, then some Dr. Bronners peppermint (helps with the itchies a whole lot) then after rinsing my tips felt slippery and smooth still, which is lovely if you aren't trying to dread. So I dipped my hair in a 2 liter jug filled with lemony sea salt water. They aren't dry yet, but I am super stoked, they feel like they will hold just fine. Yay for sea salt!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i9f they fekt slipery u may have hard water so brionnerswill not be good try something like the ones from dreadlockshampoo.com thats made foir hard water

anty stickiness>/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
12 years ago
31 posts

no, no stickiness, thanks for the heads up :0)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form