Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Salutations

Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts

I really dont like talking about myself so i will keep this short. Ive loved locks since i was about 9 and back combed my first ones with the help of dread head HQ's kit at age 12. What a waste of money!! i wish i could take a bat to the owner of that site's face!

Next i went to a local Jamaican salon and had my hair twisted for about $150-$200. the lady doing this said she had lots of experience with doing this on white people and taht the method works. I was told not to wash my hair for something like 3 months. Well needless to say it was all in vain. The twists came out and i was back to having straight (dirty) hair.

Back combed again not using any wax which worked out just fine until i had to get my first job. CUT. and have been doing neglect/natural ever since. I cut once more for work a couple years ago and have just kept my hair straight letting it grow in the hopes of getting a job that can support me which allows locks. I have finally found such a position as a trucker. Thank the lord!

So i am back to not using shampoo/conditioner or combing my hair. To me the natural way is the only way to go. It just feels right, like god himself put the knots where they should go. But at the end of the day its all just hair, i dont care how long it takes to lock or even if it locks at all (even though it does) i just love long hair and not doing anything more than washing it to take care of it. The result is nice healthy locks full of life. Thick ones, thin ones, flat ones, ones with loops i love them all!!

updated by @bummie: 02/14/15 09:32:15AM
Cliff Loc*head
@cliff-lochead
13 years ago
21 posts

Welcome...sounds like you are on the right track now.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Good to hear you're choosing the natural method.

As for work... No employer has the right to not hire you because of your locks. I understand in some jobs, where unruly hair can get in the way, or be dangerous, but if you are doing it for more than just a style, that falls into the "creed" part of federal protection. An employer can't reject you based on race, religion, or creed. Now, some will find another reason for it, but it will really be because they don't like your hair. In those cases, you have to sow them that you are the one who is mostqualifiedfor the job. Get them to see you as a person, and not as a hair style. I have worked in a few kitchens, where you would think long hair and a beard are frowned upon, but if you prov yourself during your interview and that first month or 2, you are set.

Don't let anyone tell you you have to cut your hair for a job. If you are willing to do that, they think they will be able to walk all over you later on. If you stand firm that it is your beliefs that your hair be untouched, they are going to be more willing to respect you for who you are.

Don't stand down, stand up

Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts
as much as I wish this were true. unfourtunatly it isn't the case. When I got a job as a paramedic they wouldn't hire me with long hair period so Ihad to cut. and when i was trying to get on to a full time fee department it was the same thing. since long hair interferes with the fit of the scba mask.

Baba Fats said:

Good to hear you're choosing the natural method.

As for work... No employer has the right to not hire you because of your locks. I understand in some jobs, where unruly hair can get in the way, or be dangerous, but if you are doing it for more than just a style, that falls into the "creed" part of federal protection. An employer can't reject you based on race, religion, or creed. Now, some will find another reason for it, but it will really be because they don't like your hair. In those cases, you have to sow them that you are the one who is mostqualifiedfor the job. Get them to see you as a person, and not as a hair style. I have worked in a few kitchens, where you would think long hair and a beard are frowned upon, but if you prov yourself during your interview and that first month or 2, you are set.

Don't let anyone tell you you have to cut your hair for a job. If you are willing to do that, they think they will be able to walk all over you later on. If you stand firm that it is your beliefs that your hair be untouched, they are going to be more willing to respect you for who you are.

Don't stand down, stand up

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

That's why I said if depends on the job. For some jobs, long hair in general just gets in the way. It can be a safety hazard. It's not just because they were locks

Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts
that's truth. as for being on the right path. this is now my second natural set. and fourth set overall. a long as you don't use wax any way you do it the en result is the same. a girlfriend of mine even used regular shampoo and conditioner and didn't comb her hair. it took much longer but her hair still locked non the less.

Baba Fats said:

That's why I said if depends on the job. For some jobs, long hair in general just gets in the way. It can be a safety hazard. It's not just because they were locks

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the paremedic job you could have kept em..if u fought for it get the policy in writting and if needed let the courts decide the fireman job on the other hand is 1 of there few exceptions due to the o2 mask fit

there are very very few and highly specialized jobs that would require no dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts
yeah. they had a policy. no facial hair and no hair past the collar. you might be able to go to court over it but lawyers aren't free and neither is rent. so while you wait for a judge to hear your case your still at home not making money. i know it's bullshit but since civil service jobs are usually set up para military if they dont like the way you look you just won't get hired. I remember many a 100 degree days when i was stuck wearing long sleeves to cover up my tattoos.

soaring eagle said:

the paremedic job you could have kept em..if u fought for it get the policy in writting and if needed let the courts decide the fireman job on the other hand is 1 of there few exceptions due to the o2 mask fit

there are very very few and highly specialized jobs that would require no dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

its not a criminal case its a civil rights case you dont need a lawyer ypu already won not only is it in the constitution but there are thousands of cases on record already even prisoners in jail have won cases allowing them to keep their dreads

all you have to say is

it is my civil right to express my religios beliefs in my own way you cannot deny me that right there already have been thousands of lawsuits won for this exaxct thing so every momment im sitting art hio=ome not workin g for you i;\'ll be paid fpr anyway so you might as well get some work out of me since its your money you'll be giving me one way or the other

you \got to know your rights and stand up for them

the long hair policy cannot violate freedom of religion pentecostald s and nazarites cannot cut the hair and no job can make em

even the military you can rwequest a relifgios exzception to the hair policy ti keep your dreads

vlad said:

yeah. they had a policy. no facial hair and no hair past the collar. you might be able to go to court over it but lawyers aren't free and neither is rent. so while you wait for a judge to hear your case your still at home not making money. i know it's bullshit but since civil service jobs are usually set up para military if they dont like the way you look you just won't get hired. I remember many a 100 degree days when i was stuck wearing long sleeves to cover up my tattoos.

soaring eagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bummie
@bummie
13 years ago
34 posts
if I ever have trouble securing a Job again. I'm definitely giving you a call :)

soaring eagle said:

its not a criminal case its a civil rights case you dont need a lawyer ypu already won not only is it in the constitution but there are thousands of cases on record already even prisoners in jail have won cases allowing them to keep their dreads

all you have to say is

it is my civil right to express my religios beliefs in my own way you cannot deny me that right there already have been thousands of lawsuits won for this exaxct thing so every momment im sitting art hio=ome not workin g for you i;\'ll be paid fpr anyway so you might as well get some work out of me since its your money you'll be giving me one way or the other

you \got to know your rights and stand up for them

the long hair policy cannot violate freedom of religion pentecostald s and nazarites cannot cut the hair and no job can make em

even the military you can rwequest a relifgios exzception to the hair policy ti keep your dreads

vlad said:

soaring eagle said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form